Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 10:27 AM

Default TJ Cloutier\'s new book

Anyone got it? Just read a review in Poker News and while it doesn't pan it, the review doesn't rave, either. In fact, the review is more a table of contents, which isn't surprising I guess.

How does it compare to Harrington's?
Old 06-16-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Re: TJ Cloutier\'s new book

I just skimmed it but are some random thoughts about the book:

The format of the book is 'this is how to play a small/medium/large stack when there are three tables left, when there are 2 tables left, the final table, 6 handed, 3handed, and headsup.' Much of the advice doesn't change all that much from chapter to chapter so a lot of information is repeated.

TJ is much tighter than Harrington when pushing with small M's. Harrintgon believes the chances that everybody will fold it make correct to push with anything near playable while TJ only slightly lowers his standards from opening with a large stack.

TJ is very tight from the BB. He says that if CO or button open raises then the BB should fold hands such as KQo and QTs even when both players high big stacks.

TJ's advice for playing headsup when you are behind in the chips is insane tight. He says you should only play Ax, two face cards, or pairs from the small blind while Harrington says you can complete with any two cards as long as the BB is very aggressive preflop.

It's possible some of the things I'm writing about were read out of context as I only read the entirety of a couple chapters but my first impression of the book is that it is not worth buying.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:34 PM

Does anyone know how many tournaments TJ has played in total? I would like to know his entrance to win ratio.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know how many tournaments TJ has played in total? I would like to know his entrance to win ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

strikes me he's very successful........ not totally sure he plays as he suggests in his book though.... see mcmanus' book who used clouthier book (and wilson software) to do very well in WSOP and then comes head-to-head with clouthier very late, and then clouthier goes way off his own advice (to his peril, i believe).
Old 06-16-2006, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my first impression of the book is that it is not worth buying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the advice I sought. Had a feeling that would be the case.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Hendon Mob database should have his tournament history (large events anyway). Try it at hendonmob.com
Old 06-17-2006, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How does it compare to Harrington's?

[/ QUOTE ]

No comparison. When compared to HOH, this book is very disappointing. In fact, I stopped reading it half-way through, as Cloutier just basically repeats the same thing over and over in each section. I might pick it up and try to finish it if I find myself with nothing better to do, which is pretty unlikely.

Pretty much a waste of trees, IMO.

Jan
Old 06-17-2006, 12:25 PM

From what I've seen of TJ at final tables he doesn't play weak tight. His advice certianly is though.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:06 PM

The great T.J. has said in public and in interviews that he doesn't always play poker the way he says to play it in the books he writes. Which I really think is true for most poker writers.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:27 PM

To be more precise, he said his books don't teach you how to play like him, they teach you how to play right.