Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 12:59 AM

Default Raising question? Rules?

I play mostly no limit holdem, both cash and tournaments, but the other week the regulars decided instead of a second tournament, we would play some wild cards. Stakes are irrelevant, as is the game in question, but . . . . .

The betting structure was 1 - 5 units with a maximum three raises.

Player A bets 5 units.
Player B raises 1 unit.

I know with no limit, you have to raise what is coming to you, so if A bets 5 you would have to raise 5, just call or fold. This player who has played more wild card games than the rest of us, said it was legit, it allows a player to control the amount of money going into the pot.

For example:
Player A bets 5
Player B raises 1
Player C raises 5
Player A raises 5
betting is then capped, with a total of 48 units in the pot and 16 units from each player. Compare this to:

Player A bets 5
Player B calls
Player C raises 5
Player A raises 5
Player B calls
Player C raises 5
betting is then capped, with a total of 60 units in the pot and 20 units from each player.

Now I said the game and the limits do not matter, the limits still don't but the game was 7 - 27, where players can freeze for a round and not take a card, but betting occurs after EVERY table round that a card is offered to every player. The pots GET HUGE, and actually limiting the amount of units going in with a 3 raise max, actually made sense, YET goes against EVERYTHING I am used to with regards to NO-Limit.

Anyone know if this not raising what is coming to you is legit?
Old 11-10-2007, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Raising question? Rules?

His house, his rules. If you're going to be playing wacky games like 7/27 why be a nit. Just have fun and hope lady luck is smiling down at you.

And the proper amount of a raise is to double the previous bet or raise. This is not the same as doubling what the guy before you bet.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Raising question? Rules?

[ QUOTE ]
For example:
Player A bets 5
Player B raises 1

[/ QUOTE ]

I play in a home dealer's choice game that allows this kind of betting. It is called a kill raise. I call it a weasel raise. It is contrary to the usual rules of poker, but if the house allows it, the house allows it. Take advantage of the rule when the situtation calls for it. Otherwise, just have fun. If you can't, don't play. Just tell your buddies you're not interested in playing what one of my buddy calls carnival poker.