Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Burlesque Poker

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAME
Old 11-01-2007, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Once you play it a little, it's not that complex. If you don't enjoy Omaha, you won't enjoy this game. Try it out yourself, and let me know what you think.

Basically, the rules are the same as 3 card Omaha with two differences. 1) Instead of playing 2 cards out of your 3, you can play 1 or 2 cards out of 3. 2) You turn up one card, of your choice, before the flop. Then the high card has position, like in Stud.

That's it.

If you're a low limit player who plays for fun/action, just ignore the pointers at the end of my post. I included that for those who like to analyze how these two simple changes can effect your strategy.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*A four-flush or four-straight on the board is dangerous.
*In Burlesque8, fewer low hands are made, so more scooping. A strong starting high hand has more value.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first sentence above- duhhh. (sorry, had to be done) How is that different than regular hold'em?

Second sentence- with 3 cards, why do you believe FEWER lows are made in Burl/8? How can a high hand have MORE equity with extra cards, in a hi/lo game?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*A four-flush or four-straight on the board is dangerous.
*In Burlesque8, fewer low hands are made, so more scooping. A strong starting high hand has more value.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first sentence above- duhhh. (sorry, had to be done) How is that different than regular hold'em?

Second sentence- with 3 cards, why do you believe FEWER lows are made in Burl/8? How can a high hand have MORE equity with extra cards, in a hi/lo game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the post, I was hoping to get feedback from experienced players regarding this game. I don’t pretend to be anything but an amateur poker player who likes to invent new things.

The four-flush remark was meant as a comparison to 4 card Omaha. Granted, still not a profound statement.

I can’t defend the Burlesque8 remark. I was thinking that you have 8 cards to make a low (vs 9 cards in Omaha8, of coarse you only get 7 cards to make your low in Stud Hi-Lo)

Just trying to get threads going regarding how players will modify their game to adapt to the twists in I added in Burlesque.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:55 PM

It should be called Stomaha
Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 PM

I had a similar idea but haven't play-tested it yet. Basically it would be PLO8 and after the flop and turn betting rounds everyone has to expose one (live) card, leaving two cards face-up at the river betting round.

Good luck with your game. We play a lot of "roll your own" variants at my home game so I think it sounds interesting
Old 11-06-2007, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the idea. I really like the idea of choosing the upcard, instead of it being random.

FYI, my origional idea for the game was Burlesque Omaha. Just like 4 card Omaha, but all live players show one card b4 the flop, and the high card has acts last in each betting round from there. That might be a better game than the one with 3 cards (explained in the posts above).

My resoning behind getting 3 cards and playing 1 or 2 cards: I wanted the starting hand strength to be bewteen Hold Em and Omaha. In Hold Em AA is about 80% against a random hand, and in Omaha the best hand is only about 60% against a random hand. I thought somewhere in the middle would be interesting. Again, maybe playing 4 card Omaha with the Burlesque twist is a better game.

Try out these variations, including yours, and let us know your friend's feedback.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:44 AM

I tried this one, in my monthly wild card group, 4-handed (high only version)

It didn't go over that well. May try it again, hi/low.

Another version might be- expose card, it's dead... but maybe not so good a version.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:53 PM

I like to play Stud Roll Your Own:

All cards are dealt face down and players choose which card to expose and leave as their door cards on each street.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:46 PM

That sounds like a fun version of Stud. I like that you choose your upcard, and that upcard decides position.

A lot of players have an aversion to choosing their up card, I think they're afraid to give away a part of their game.