Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Is this a foolish play on my part

I hadn't played with villain prior to this session but was defiantly exhibiting a huge range in that position. He could defiantly be a 2'er and would be rated as a LagTag but then again he may be just an overaggressive Lag.

I posted results because I pride myself on my hand reading abilities and I played this guy like a thinking player. I have been thinking about this line to extract the most against the right players. I figured this guy fit the bill just right. Note here that with a good Ace I would have just called the river.

What I'm not sure about is if this player is utter donk or an even better reader than I. Now that I posted it I guess it's just a WTF call considering the pot size and i just got unlucky.

Nonetheless, I'm still curious if you think I should abandon my reads and just give up on the turn

Full Tilt (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG doesn't show.
CO has Ks 2s (two pair, threes and twos).
Hero has Kd Js (one pair, threes).
Outcome: CO wins 12.75 BB. </font>
Old 07-18-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Is this a foolish play on my part

you aren't repping anything credible

b/f turn is ok, or ck behind/call river if he will auto-bluff in that situation.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 PM

Just bet/fold the turn. Even if he has a flush draw it's often beating you, alot of combos of A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Good LAGTAGs can also play flopped made hands like this, and also A4/44.

Once you get to the river, if you're calling a bet anyway it's probably worth it to throw in a raise and maybe get A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] to fold, especially if he's seen you wait til the river with made hands before.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:56 AM

The result is obviously frustrating, but you should be done when he pops you on the turn.
Atleast you have your read confirmed that you can call him down loose.
I really, really don't like the raise on the end. You're not getting a better hand to fold vs. this guy... it is possible you can get him to fold an ace - but I think he's just as likely to call. If you want a showdown, just call the river IMO.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:58 AM

You should wait for a better spot than this to call his bluffs. If he keeps playing like this you're going to break him soon anyway...
Old 07-19-2007, 02:18 PM

I muck to the turn raise. It irks me a bit since I feel I'm being run over of some of the time, but I console myself with the thoughts that:

1) Villain probably has a bunch of outs when behind, and I'm often in rough shape

2) I won't always have a K-high hand when he jacks the turn. Seems like it sometimes, but I should be showing down a reasonable % of my range and expect to win at least my share.

When things are not going well for me or I feel like I'm being taken advantage of, I sometimes fall into the trap of fighting too hard for individual pots (often in bad spots) rather than taking pride in my ability to avoid trouble while I wait for more advantageous circumstances. It's tempting to think that we can rescue this situation by hitting the gas, but I'm trying hard to remind myself that it's much better to just give it up gracefully and move on. I'm a firm believer that cutting out these occasional spewy hands will more than offset the occasional pot I drag.