Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2007, 10:08 PM

Default 1-2NL Hand At The Taj

I posted this in the Beginners Questions section and someone suggested to post this hand here as well since we don't get enough live hands posted. Any feedback is appreciated, I've been getting a mix of reviews - mostly about how poorly it was played due to the passiveness.

This particular hand occurred tonight at the Taj's 1-2 NL and I was wondering if I could get some insight on how the hand should have been played and if my decision on the river was correct. Thanks ahead of time and I apologize for the lack of hand converter usage.

1-2 NL
Hero is UTG with about $430 in chips.
Villain is two spots from the cutoff with about $750 in chips.

The villain is a maniac and has been raising non stop and running very good. He's very good at making bets but does not know when he is beat and calls with mid pair or the lowest pair about 80% of the time to value bets made by his opponents.

Hero is dealt [QcQs]
Hero raises $10 to go.
Two people call and the Villain makes it $30 to go.
Hero calls and the other two fold.

Flop: [8s Td Js]
Hero checks.
Villain bets $50.
Hero calls.

Turn: [Ac]
Hero checks.
Villain bets $200.
Hero calls.

River: [7h]
Hero checks.
Villain goes all in.
Hero folds.

The villain ended up showing [7s 4c] for a bluff/pair on the river.

Ultimately I was hoping for a 9 or King on the river to clinch the hand but on the river when he went all in, I just couldn't call it even if I had about only $150 left. The Villain had been raising non stop with a huge range of hands so I put him on a 9 or possible two pair.

With about $150 left on the river, should I have called his all in bet? On a side note I played the hand as if I were on the spade flush draw and this might have caused him to go all in on the river when he knew I "missed" it. This was intended from the very start as I wanted to trap him but I didn't think he would make an all-in move after calling his $200 bet on the turn.

Once again thanks ahead of time. I can't go back and change the way I played pocket Queens, but I would like to know if folding on the river was the correct decision.