Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Is Phil lying about his mega-money off the table?

Read some article somewhere and also saw it on wikipedia that Phil Hellmuth was quoted to reportedly make over 400 million (not sure if this is a year or what time frame) off the poker table. Anyone have any info on this, I mean I know he makes a lot more w/ sponsorships / books / videos / whatever outside investments he has than money he makes from poker, but 400 million give me a break.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Is Phil lying about his mega-money off the table?

Well he did just make an appearance on a rap video. That should be interesting. I agree that $400 million seems a bit high.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 PM

haha, that reminds me when Jerry Buss said Phil Hellmuth sounded like a rapper.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read some article somewhere and also saw it on wikipedia that Phil Hellmuth was quoted to reportedly make over 400 million (not sure if this is a year or what time frame) off the poker table. Anyone have any info on this, I mean I know he makes a lot more w/ sponsorships / books / videos / whatever outside investments he has than money he makes from poker, but 400 million give me a break.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the amounts involved, but in a interview I say recently PH said that he spent a year not playing nearly as much, concentrating on business ventures, to make sure that his family was "set for life" and that he was ready to concentrate on poker again.

When you think about how much money some athletes make from endorsements, the numbers could certainly be well into the millions when you add it all up.

to just one example, think of all the actors and celebrities ware are interested in poker, and who have almost unlimited funds to pay for coaching, etc.

Add to that books, videos, gear, web sites, poker site affiliations, newspaper columns, etc.

Two very good young Russian tennis players come to mind. We all know about Maria Sharapova, the "Poweshot" girl, a hottie, and also one of the top tennis players in the world

And then there is Anna Kournikova. As a teenager she was briefly ranked in the top ten in the world, and she was the next big thing in tennis.

However, she took an entirely different route than Sharipova. Instead of trying to be the number one tennis player in the world, she capitalized on her looks and popularity and did the celebrtiy thing, concentraing on modeling, promotion and endorsement.

She never realized her potential as a tennis player, but she made scads of money, and a least for a year, that's what Phil did. I don't know how much he made, or can make in the future, but he seems very happy with the choices that he has made.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well he did just make an appearance on a rap video.

[/ QUOTE ]

w/ who??
Old 08-22-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

400 million is a joke. Maybe, just maybe he grosses $5 million a year but his expenses and gambling losses eat into that. Even his books, while popular aren't huge money machines - they have a limited audience and he gets an advance on the sales which means he won't see any money from book sales until they equal his advance.

Poker Pro's always like to talk a good game but there are very few of them who consistently net more than $5m a year.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:43 PM

Maybe $40M if he was incredibly astute/lucky. His endorsements can't amount to THAT much... unless he has Howard Stern's agent
Old 08-22-2007, 04:52 PM

I hope to God Pralad Freedman isn't in the rap video!
Old 08-22-2007, 06:18 PM

frisbee is fun...

for everyone...
Old 08-22-2007, 06:32 PM

I heard UB gives him a cut of all the money they steal from their customers.