Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Home Players & Hosts Peeves

I deal with the players showing up when they feel like it by having a BBQ prior to the game. That way, folks are occupied until we get started. If someone is late and does not get a seat, too bad for them.

I was at a game where the host asked me to rule on a hand. I was like, wtf, it is your house, you rule. However, when I ruled that the hand was mucked, he got upset afterwards. Oh well, I left.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Oh man if I woulda stayed in with my 7-2os I woulda had a boat!"

[/ QUOTE ]
"You should play every hand."

For my tournaments, people seem to realize that the sooner they show up, the more hands they get at lower levels before food arrives and the sooner the thing ends. Also, I nag the hell out of them. I also don't plan on X+1 tables until we have significantly more RSVPs than are required for it, as there are always flakers, so that creates a waiting list. That gets folks there for the tournament on time, in order to keep their seats.

For the cash games, I have one nice table in the nice part of the room and one rather crappy table near the big breezy door. First come, first seated. But I really don't stress people arriving "on time" for those. We run from 7pm until 3am (or later) with a lot of people coming and going so, y'know, whatever. Why stress over it if we only have a few people for the first hour?
Old 08-26-2007, 05:13 PM

Most people usually buy into our game for 40bb at the start but a few hours in most people are well over 100bb deep and the big stacks are 2 or 300. Then inevitably there is always a late comer who buys in for like 20bb and nits it up playing super tight.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:37 PM

I usually host the games.

My biggest peeve is players never showing up on time or they reserve their seat and NEVER show. Then the next day I get a phone call asking how everything went? WTF?

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2007, 12:42 PM

My home game is always NLHE tourneys. The only time I'll hold a seat is if you pre-pay. And again, I think if you consistently start on time, they will magically show up on time. You may look like an ass at first, leaving many players out by not showing on time, but you & they will be happier in the long run knowing 7:30 means 7:30.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 PM

"Oh man, I'd have had a set" after they folded on the flop and off came runner-runner 7s.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:46 PM

at first I used to do this myself- but it annoys me now to no end

rabbit chasing

stop being so results oriented dude!!
Old 09-01-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually host the games.

My biggest peeve is players never showing up on time

[/ QUOTE ]

Stack penalties, rather than just blinding them off, works for me. Plus, we cut off late arrival after the 3rd round (usually an hour)

[ QUOTE ]
or they reserve their seat and NEVER show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those people get dropped from the invitation list pretty quickly.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My home game is always NLHE tourneys. The only time I'll hold a seat is if you pre-pay. And again, I think if you consistently start on time, they will magically show up on time. You may look like an ass at first, leaving many players out by not showing on time, but you & they will be happier in the long run knowing 7:30 means 7:30.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how far away they're coming. I have people traveling 30-50 miles, so I'm not going to lock them out at tourney's start.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:15 AM

[preemptive apology for length.]

Weekly home game. $100 buyin NL tournament. anywhere from 12 to 20 players....After first couple rounds host will ask who's eating and order pizzas. Whatever the food costs (usually 40-60 bucks) comes out of the 1st and 2nd place prize money.

Lately, I've noticed some people putting in individual orders. turkey subs, salads, etc. Maybe I'm just weird, but does anyone else think this is kind of uncool?

It doesn't bug me enough to say anything, but on some level it strikes a chord--one that's inharmonious with the communal food/communal payment concept.

and it has nothing to do with potential prize money going towards their chicken kabob rollup. (although I bet the per-person cost of their subs is higher than the per-person cost of everyone's slices). it's more that I find it to be anti-social in a way.

Thoughts? (and should I have posted this in psychology?)