Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 AM

Default anybody else use this idea at home games?

i recently started playing at a home game, and an iteresting thing occured, when one player was all in and lost, the person who beat him gave him a "rebate" an amount of money factored in by how much the person lost, and depending on the person. So its basically optional...but a courtesy thing in which u can give the guy a chance to win some money back without reloading.
Does anybody else do this...because my friend is claiming that he invented teh idea. lol .
Old 08-11-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Re: anybody else use this idea at home games?

[ QUOTE ]
i recently started playing at a home game, and an iteresting thing occured, when one player was all in and lost, the person who beat him gave him a "rebate" an amount of money factored in by how much the person lost, and depending on the person. So its basically optional...but a courtesy thing in which u can give the guy a chance to win some money back without reloading.
Does anybody else do this...because my friend is claiming that he invented teh idea. lol .

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the most rediculous things I've ever heard of. Your friend really needs to think this out some more.

If you are in a tournament structured game, your goal is to get as many chips from your opponents as you can, even if this includes all of their chips, to which you are able to survive and move on to the next opponents and their chips.

"Giving back" a portion of someone's chips after you have busted them does not make sense. Change your buy-in structure to allow for a set amount of chips to be rebought, not given away from the person who just won them.

Also, I'm assuming if the person that just busted out is a douche this somehow figures into the "rebate". What does he get back? How is it calculated?

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the most rediculous things I've ever heard of. Your friend really needs to think this out some more.

[/ QUOTE ]

They may need to think it out regarding selective donation, but this is hardly out there crazy. For tournaments it's unthinkable, but it makes sense in cash games.

We do this at my Monday game. We call it "welfare". It evolved a few months back when our formerly juicy player pool whittled the same five or six guys every week and they started running out of cash. It started as just a dollar or two, but sometimes it's five or six, depending on the situation. Because of the crazy hyper-aggressive nature of the game, it basically acts as a pot-sweetener, causing the game to play bigger. Of course, by the time we start up the welfare there are already a lot of chips on the table and we're playing a bigger game anyway, but the position of the welfare recipient can affect how you play a hand.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm in favor of giving a player loose enough to bust and steaming enough to tilt as many chips as possible, especially on a table full of lesser players than myself. My goal is to get all the chips, and the welfare introduces a new tool in pursuit of this goal. I'm positive this system has been highly +EV for me, even if you just consider that it encourages games to run longer.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are in a tournament structured game, your goal is to get as many chips from your opponents as you can, even if this includes all of their chips, to which you are able to survive and move on to the next opponents and their chips.

"Giving back" a portion of someone's chips after you have busted them does not make sense. Change your buy-in structure to allow for a set amount of chips to be rebought, not given away from the person who just won them.

Also, I'm assuming if the person that just busted out is a douche this somehow figures into the "rebate". What does he get back? How is it calculated?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's for a cash game, not a tournament.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's for a cash game, not a tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. And yes, cash games this may be acceptable.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:12 PM

I think a bad player will like you and make worse calls downs against you if he thinks he will get a buck or two back.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:10 AM

It also just helps keep a short game going. Nobody is really playing with the guy who's all-in every time, but sometimes he gets lucky and the dynamic changes for a bit before he bustos again. It's really just a kind of kill pot.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:47 AM

It's called depression poker, as I read it in cardplayer about 5 years ago, and the idea is that once you're busto, you're all-in in every proceeding hand for the blinds/antes. It's a nice idea, in that you're never dead and can get yourself a short stack for free, thus keeping chips moving. It's also good for a group of people who want to have a stop loss. (i.e. $20 in a .25/.50 limit game.) It's also +EV for me, because a lot of people don't like short-handed and the game breaks quicker if someone goes busto. Heck, if you feel like it, you can make that person deal for the privilidge until they have cards again, passing the deck to the new dealer, once they win a pot.