Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 3v. 14
Rotencrotch 27 64.29%
Sanjay Sh*tole 15 35.71%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 04:36 PM

Default WSEx: Official Monthly Thread: November. (#1 of 5.)

As everyone knows, we have been somewhat overrun in the Zoo by WSEx threads lately, some good, some bad.

This month, we're going to try to keep everything in this one thread, to see if this helps things. Interested readers and the WSEx GM can find everything in one place, and those not interested will know the thread not to open.

If someone starts another thread about WSEx it will more than likely be deleted or locked, so, please don't do it if you want your question to be answered or your point to be read.

Don't forget to change the title in your post, if applicable.

Let's see how it goes. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Re: WSEx: Official Monthly Thread: November.

I would like to say that from all I have read the following are true about wsex:

1) It is a very small rocky site with weak-tights who are marginal winners elsewhere and thus obsessed with rake. Essentially even logging onto the site is an exercise in bad game selection and is EV neutral. Essentially equivalent to gambling with someone on a series of coinflips with a fair coin, where longterm you can't come out ahead but short term you might get some positive variance to make you think otherwise.

2) IIRC, and if I haven't then please correct me, the wsex GM has said both that he doesn't want such a gambling atmosphere where his sports betting whales dump to weak-tight poker players, and that the rake model might change in the future. Thus the site's primary interest is in getting poker players to dump in sports betting, and not providing good enough games where sports bettors dump to good poker players. And that if the site gets big enough, then they may well start charging rake after having got a bunch of weak-tight suckers to help them get to that level.

So OK all you spammers rebut what I just said, and keep all your spam in this thread instead of trying to make the zoo look like the spam mountain that is rgp.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:03 PM

a couple of wpex requests for ye olde WSEX gm:

please update the hh browser. It still sucks. Use the stars browser as a template.

Also, I play almost exclusively at wpex. Initially I applauded the move to remove end user's names from the hh files, as it would seem that this would allow me to evaluate my own play without subjecting me or anyone else to the intense datamining that shows up at other sites.

In practice this has not been the case though. Since I can't keep stats on guys, I rely entirely on written notes taken at the table. Lots of wpex players have very specific and pronounced quirks in their games, and as I play shorthanded and headsup a lot reads are very very pertinent to the eventual decisions that I make. The problem comes when I open up a session the next day, and see a move that looks out of line.

Did I have a note on that guy? maybe. It would help to know whether or not I made a move on a guy that I figured was weak, or called down a maniac, or folded to a rocky guy or whatever. without names in the hh I'm denied the availability of my own reads when reviewing my own play.

This isn't so particularly cool.

I'd suggest taking an alternative route that involves including player names in the hand histories, while specifically forbidding datamining. Other sites have done this with good success.

Also, kudos on sticking with we US players though the Fristing. I'd be curious to hear your opinion on why Party Poker and some others have taken the preemptive actions that they have - throwing away gigantic portions of market share and revenue while the matter is still undecided.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to say that from all I have read the following are true about wsex:

1) It is a very small rocky site with weak-tights who are marginal winners elsewhere and thus obsessed with rake. Essentially even logging onto the site is an exercise in bad game selection and is EV neutral. Essentially equivalent to gambling with someone on a series of coinflips with a fair coin, where longterm you can't come out ahead but short term you might get some positive variance to make you think otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really the case in my experience. Lots of aggro wierdos that take strange lines that make no sense. Every so oft I can find a nice weak/tight table to beat up on for a while, but thats a good thing IMO.

The game selection isn't as good as stars. It isn't ev neutral unless you're not very good either though.

[ QUOTE ]
2) IIRC, and if I haven't then please correct me, the wsex GM has said both that he doesn't want such a gambling atmosphere where his sports betting whales dump to weak-tight poker players, and that the rake model might change in the future. Thus the site's primary interest is in getting poker players to dump in sports betting, and not providing good enough games where sports bettors dump to good poker players. And that if the site gets big enough, then they may well start charging rake after having got a bunch of weak-tight suckers to help them get to that level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall this at all. Link?
Old 10-29-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to have very strong opinions about the place for not having played there.

[ QUOTE ]
1) It is a very small rocky site with weak-tights who are marginal winners elsewhere and thus obsessed with rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK.

[ QUOTE ]
Essentially even logging onto the site is an exercise in bad game selection and is EV neutral.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be obvious that if you're a good player, playing against weak tight marginal winners with no rake is EV+. To say it's not is incorrect. If your assumptions are true, than the discussion should be about if playing at wpex is EV+ enough to not be playing somewhere else.

[ QUOTE ]
So OK all you spammers rebut what I just said, and keep all your spam in this thread instead of trying to make the zoo look like the spam mountain that is rgp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you being so antagonistic? I don't understand why wpex and people who post about it make you angry.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:38 PM

Guruman is correct. It's full of overaggressive retards and donkeys. Nothing weak-tight about it at all in my opinion.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:45 PM

Had great trouble adjusting to the games to start with.
Cool now.
Yes players have sufficient flaws for the games to be worth playing with no rake.
some are too passive. most are tight. some are way too tight, and some like me occasionally make the weirdest plays for no discernable reason [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2006, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Had great trouble adjusting to the games to start with.
Cool now.
Yes players have sufficient flaws for the games to be worth playing with no rake.
some are too passive. most are tight. some are way too tight, and some like me occasionally make the weirdest plays for no discernable reason [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Played there a lot and a bit with both of you.

has anyone ever seen a rock at wsex (apart from me)? and where did this rock myth come from? I expect it from BluffThis, he believes all sort of stuff [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] but why does anyone else believe it?

chez
Old 10-29-2006, 08:51 PM

Let's try to discuss site selection properly for once.

Holdem or other games?
Limit or no limit?
Shorthanded or full?
High, mid, or micro?

One-size-fits-all summaries of game quality/selection are completely useless. There is nothing dumber than watching posters arguing about game selection with no context. Often it comes out in the end that one plays $1/$2 full and the other plays 6-max NL midstakes. No wonder they don't agree on anything.

If you must discuss this topic, please tell us what games you like to play. Then at least we'll know what you are wrong about [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 10-29-2006, 08:53 PM

On 2/4 through 5/10 full-ring tables I see 11/5 type players almost everywhere I turn.

On the 5-max tables there are plenty of weak-tight 15/7 types (which is way too tight for 5-max...although sitting there and pulling in the RB from all the hands everyone else is playing makes it not completely unreasonable).

Yes, I think there are plenty of rocks on WPEX as well as plenty of hypers making weird plays (me leading the way in that category).
Closed Thread