Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Wal-Mart

Mattsey 9:

I live in Los Angeles, and what I described is happening here. I am also led to understand that the union has an entrance fee and union dues that are IMO, through the roof. Albeit, there are connections to working better paying jobs. But I am only talking about my own observations.

Do you pay yearly dues? And did you have to pay an entrance fee. I think that these dues would probably push your fees into the thousands.

You do have a good argument. I cannot dispute anything you say, as I do understand you and do agree with your thinking. You are more republican-minded than most pro-union spout-stacks.

Also. I would like to annotate that I have mistaken the name of AFI. It should be AVI, and that the Dockworker's union is supposed to be the LongShorman's Union.

I think that you would smile to know what is happening to the truck drivers. Technically, they are not "owner operators," they are "independent contractors." The companies actually own the trucks,and the drivers rent. Legislation is being pushed to stop classifying them as owner operators. They will be full-time employees. The companies will be required to fix the trucks to environmental code. The workers salaries will at least double. The only downside to this is that the illegal immigrants will lose their jobs driving. This is of coarse, without the use of unions.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mattsey 9:

I live in Los Angeles, and what I described is happening here. I am also led to understand that the union has an entrance fee and union dues that are IMO, through the roof. Albeit, there are connections to working better paying jobs. But I am only talking about my own observations.

Do you pay yearly dues? And did you have to pay an entrance fee. I think that these dues would probably push your fees into the thousands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of. The only dues I pay at all are collected quarterly. The charge is $72.00/quarter or $288.00/year. There is no annual fee on top of that, nor was there an initiation fee.

[ QUOTE ]

You are more republican-minded than most pro-union spout-stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be the most horrible thing anyone has ever said to me in my entire life. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Don't make me break out my ACLU card...

[ QUOTE ]

I think that you would smile to know what is happening to the truck drivers. Technically, they are not "owner operators," they are "independent contractors." The companies actually own the trucks,and the drivers rent. Legislation is being pushed to stop classifying them as owner operators. They will be full-time employees. The companies will be required to fix the trucks to environmental code. The workers salaries will at least double.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good for them. I'm not sure why the companies weren't previously required to have their trucks up to environmental code before, but that's a positive change.

[ QUOTE ]
The only downside to this is that the illegal immigrants will lose their jobs driving. This is of coarse, without the use of unions.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sucks for them and their families, but I'm not going to lose any sleep for jobs going to workers who are legally permitted to work in the U.S.

The biggest problem most union workers have with non-union workers, setting aside the obvious working for scab wages problem, is that they make the jobsite a more dangerous place to work. They simply don't have the training and skills that union workers possess. For example, on a job we'll hire welders & pipefitters from the fitter's hall. We'll hire carpenters from their hall, and equipment operators and electricians from their respective locals. Each of these workers has a thorough schooling in their particular trade. Most apprenticeship programs last 4-5 years, and apprentices are never permitted to work alone. The non-union crews come in with workers who may be welding one day, and driving a crane the next. It's impossible to be competent enough in all of these disciplines to work safely.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To make more money, the capitalist must make his labor more productive. He does this either by investing in training or investing in capital equipment, tools and machinery.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon, Borodog, is this the only way that capitalists make more profits? Can't they still make substantial profits doing neither?

[/ QUOTE ]

John, IMHO, yes they can, but once we go down this road of discussion we must get into an ideological discussion about capitalism itself.

If we apply what I would call "linear logic" to the fundamental principles of capitalism, the quest to increase profit (in any/all ways) is paramount and never ending.

Pure capitalism, in and by itself, has no soul or conscience.

There is no cosmic arbiter sitting in the wings saying... "too much is too much".

These are ethical questions, and ethics vary widely depending upon who your talking to........
Old 09-20-2007, 02:11 PM

Wal-Mart is coming to town this spring.

I can't wait. We need it.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wal-Mart is coming to town this spring.

I can't wait. We need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you.

Reap what you sow.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good for you.

Reap what you sow.

[/ QUOTE ]

More variety and lower prices? If it turns out that the place sucks the people can always continue to shop at the local stores. Somehow I doubt that will happen though...
Old 09-20-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good for you.

Reap what you sow.

[/ QUOTE ]

More variety and lower prices? If it turns out that the place sucks the people can always continue to shop at the local stores. Somehow I doubt that will happen though...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the thing. There's an illusion of more variety, but they don't have a vast selection of each item. They have a variety of crap across the board, but if you want a specific item, you don't have that many more choices as other places.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good for you.

Reap what you sow.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it really that simple?

Ok......

In this case, it is my opinion (and I freely admit it is an OPINION) that based upon all of the facts surrounding all of the issues surrounding Wal-Mart that in the long-run they do much more harm than good to their customers, employees, vendors and country.