Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 09:12 PM

Default Re: CallMeIshmael\'s \"The 50 Worst States in America\"

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, I lived in central mass from ages 1-18 and now live in NC. Since leaving I've realized that mass is an excellent state. If you think NC is as great as it seems you do, then you're going to be pretty disappointed. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (Not that NC is bad, it's just nothing special.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Gardner, MA. This town used to be nice, but over the past 5+ years it's become a real hole. It's on it's way to being another Athol or Fitchburg. Everything is getting rundown, traffic has gotten ridiculous around here as well (don't these people have jobs? What are they doing on the road in my way at all fricken hours? They can't all be playing online poker for a living!)

The school system used to be excellent, it's taken a turn for the worse (although this is probably evident throughout society as a whole)

The wife and I want someplace peaceful and relaxing. Where we can get a reasonably priced home that isn't right on top of our neighbors. With a nice garden and some type of water thing in the back (waterfall, brook, fountain, something). We just want privacy and nice weather and to kick back and enjoy a relaxing life.

People here in Mass are so grumpy and stressed from the traffic and working three jobs to make ends meet (I'm in Central MA by the way)

I'm tired of the snow, I'm tired of the people. We're looking at the Wilmington/coastal area of NC, although I've had a few 2+2ers recommend The Triangle area over that, so we'll see.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a little event to further support Alabama's case for spot #1.

een Arrested for Raping His Mother

Oct 27, 2006 11:04 AM CDT

Albertville, Ala. -- Police say a Marshall County teen raped his mother to get revenge on his brother.

Police say 19-year-old Gary Helms, Jr., raped his 45-year-old mother this past weekend at Willow Terrace Trailer Park on Doyle Drive in Albertville.

It's a twisted crime that police say Helms admits.

"From what we understand the rape stemmed from an argument between him and his brother. And apparently they were arguing over a girlfriend. And the rape was some sort of retaliation towards his brother," said Sgt. Jamie Smith of the Albertville Police Department.

It was unusual retaliation on an unsuspecting victim.

Authorities say Helms' mother was apparently passed out drunk on the couch when the rape started.

"During the attack she did come to and recognize her attacker. (Reporter: As her son?) As her son," said Smith.

That's when, according to the police report, the mother "tried to get away, but he held her down until he was finished."

"It's totally sick is what it is," said Smith.

Helms was arrested and charged with the 1st degree rape of his own mother.

Smith says it's hard to wrap your mind around.

"Shocked, shocked would be more a better way to describe it. That somebody would dip to the lows to do something of this nature. It's just pretty much a shock to the conscience of the general public," said Smith.

Helms is being held in the Marshall County Jail on $100,000 bond.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason this thread is so clever is that all the reasons for thinking many of these states are deserving of top spot as worst state are exactly the reasons a few of the states at the bottom of the list are vastly overrated.

Has anyone ever been to places like Elmira, NY and its surrounding parts? I have traveled all through the greater part of NY and many of these towns could have tooth counts by just eyeing it up. There are towns in NY that put the worst places in Texas (and I have been to them all) or Louisiana (once again been to them all) or Mississippi (been to most of them) or Alabama (been to many, not most or all) to shame. Granted NYC is [censored]' great but New York state is overrated.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:01 PM

1. Texas
2. Texas
3. Texas
4. Texas
5. Texas
6. Texas
7. Texas
8. Texas
9. Texas
10. Texas
11. Texas
12. Texas
13. Texas
14. Texas
15. Texas
16. Texas
17. Texas
18. Texas
19. Texas
20. Texas
21. Texas
22. Texas
23. Texas
24. Texas
25. Texas
26. Texas
27. Texas
28. Texas
29. Texas
30. Texas
31. Texas
32. Texas
33. Texas
34. Texas
35. Texas
36. Texas
37. Texas
38. Texas
39. Texas
40. Texas
41. Texas
42. Texas
43. Texas
44. Texas
45. Texas
46. Texas
47. Texas
48. Texas
49. Texas
50. Texas
Old 10-30-2006, 10:22 PM

Maryland does pretty much suck but DC metro area is right in the middle of it, which is kinda cool and it's only a 2 hour drive away from the beach. There is no way on EARTH that Oklahoma beats Maryland.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:48 PM

All things considered, how the [censored] is Rhode Island halfway down the list while Massachusetts is damn near the best?... While I agree, MA>RI they're not THAT far off.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:53 PM

No argument with the weight of Arkansas' suckage, though I will point out that *if* you have money (and aren't trying to earn a living), the Ozarks is (are?) a pretty killer place to live. Tunica an easy day trip drive from there as well.

Massachusetts way too high.

Canucks blow donkey.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I've lived in both (Jersey until I was 17 then Maryland since) and I have to say that Jersey is a hell of a lot (1) nicer and wealthier (on average) and (2) more cultured and culturally diverse... not to mention it's proximity to NYC rather than DC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although New Jersey was #2 in per capita personal income in 2005 ($43.8k), that is not "a hell of a lot" more than Maryland at #4 ($42k). source

There are 8 states where whites make up less than 70% of the population. Maryland is one of them, New Jersey is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao. There is white (not different whites like in NJ) and black (30% of the population) in Maryland... two prominent cultures. The others are completely unnoticeable compared to NJ. Your statistics leave much to be desired.

Jersey (north Jersey where I lived at least) large populations of white (protestant), black, jewish, arab, mexican/central american, italian, irish, albanian, russian, greek, asian, indian etc etc... Compare the availability of good authentic foods from these cultures to see the difference.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I've lived in both (Jersey until I was 17 then Maryland since) and I have to say that Jersey is a hell of a lot (1) nicer and wealthier (on average) and (2) more cultured and culturally diverse... not to mention it's proximity to NYC rather than DC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although New Jersey was #2 in per capita personal income in 2005 ($43.8k), that is not "a hell of a lot" more than Maryland at #4 ($42k). source

There are 8 states where whites make up less than 70% of the population. Maryland is one of them, New Jersey is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao. There is white (not different whites like in NJ) and black (30% of the population) in Maryland... two prominent cultures. The others are completely unnoticeable compared to NJ. Your statistics leave much to be desired.

Jersey (north Jersey where I lived at least) large populations of white (protestant), black, jewish, arab, mexican/central american, italian, irish, albanian, russian, greek, asian, indian etc etc... Compare the availability of good authentic foods from these cultures to see the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gew up in Norther NJ...very wealthy suburb...it was paradise for a kid: great schools, forrests and streams and swim clubs and riding your bike everywhere...it was awesome.

I wouldn't live in NJ now if you paid me, though. Too damn crowded.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No argument with the weight of Arkansas' suckage, though I will point out that *if* you have money (and aren't trying to earn a living), the Ozarks is (are?) a pretty killer place to live. Tunica an easy day trip drive from there as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in LR and while they are several poor areas, there are many people in LR who have a ton of money. I also went to school in the Ozarks and it is nice area to live if you can ignore the townies.