Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Poker math tools

I play NL, but I figured you guys would be much more likely to know how to help me than my NL crew..

After a big downswing I had recently, I started doing some full mathematical analysis of lines to get a sense of how profitable certain lines were vs certain players. I did it a couple times on my computer when I was playing SSNL, but I find it's much easier to do w/pencil & paper. Here is an example where I'm trying to determine the EV of a turn C/R with a boat on a flush draw board deep vs a pretty typical donk.

As I do these, however, I can't help but think that there's a better way to do it than by hand. Looking at that alone, I'd love to just plug in a few differences in the frequencies, and adjust the ranges a little to see how much better/worse the line would be vs a tough aggro player. Is there a program out there that can help me w/these calculations?

I was thinking about trying to write a program in VB that could do it for me, but I don't have VB on this computer, haven't programmed since high school, and my program would suck bad anyway.

Do you guys ever do this kind of analysis? If so, what do you use?

If there's a better forum for this thread feel free to move it
Old 11-09-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Poker math tools

Excel is very powerful.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:32 PM

Excel is great, or if you know or can learn the basics of a programming language you might find that very helpful.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:50 PM

Well...

There is a software to analyse EV of given lines vs ranges and strategies used by your opponent.
We will release it in 2/3 month. For now we are working with our beta testers to make it more accessible to avg user.
If you just cant wait you can pm me and ask about becoming one of those testers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Take care,
punter