Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: what bank should i use at northwestern?

While I'm hijacking this thread...just thought I'd add that the home game I have in mind will be low stakes, booze-flowing fun. Don't worry 'bout it being too serious.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:53 AM

someone should compile a list of all the NU kids here and get it going, any volunteers?

im down
Old 07-26-2007, 10:53 AM

didn't realize there were this many nu kids...whoever is having a game- i'm interesting in playing
Old 07-26-2007, 11:54 PM

[x]
Old 07-27-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was going to school all of the campus ATMs were owned by LaSalle. LaSalle even had a manned bank branch on the ground floor of Norris. Did this change?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what it was like when I was there too...
Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 AM

1. Get a 12 month 0% APR credit card and make all your purchases with that so you can collect interest on your cash.

2. Get a student checking account at BoA and sign up for the following savings account through BoA: http://www.fatwallet.com/t/52/655717/
It's a no-fee savings account offered through AAA but you don't even need to be a AAA member to qualify
The interest rates are MUCH better than the [censored] rates they offer for normal savings accounts
Balance index Rate APY
$0-$2,500 MFR - .25 4.48 4.58
$2,500 - $9,999 MFR 4.73 4.84
$10,000 - $49,999 MFR + .25 4.98 5.11
$50,000 and over MFR + .50 5.23 5.37

3. Get a 5%+ savings account at ETrade or some other online bank and keep almost all of your money in that or the BoA savings except for a little in the BoA checking account for cash withdrawals. By law you get a minimum of 6 transfers per month from the savings account so you'll have no problem transferring money to a checking account if necessary.

B&M banks are for fish. They give like .7% interest on savings accounts. Even if you don't have a lot of money to collect interest on, there's no reason to pass up higher interest.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:46 AM

The campus changed from LaSalle to US Bank I think in 2004.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:30 AM

naturally, a booze filled low stakes game is what i intended, lets get it ready to go so we can drink away our sorrows for the oncoming year immediately when school starts.....

JB
Old 07-28-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
B&M banks are for fish. They give like .7% interest on savings accounts. Even if you don't have a lot of money to collect interest on, there's no reason to pass up higher interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you want to actually withdraw from a convienient ATM without paying fees.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you want to actually withdraw from a convienient ATM without paying fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post again. I linked to a BoA account that gives just under 5% interest, and even more if you have a high balance. So you can transfer funds (up to 6x per month with no charge) from that account to your BoA checking account to give yourself enough cash for ATM withdrawals. And BoA has a ton of ATMs all over the country. Thats a special deal though. If you just walk into a B&M bank on the first day of school like every other college kid and set up a checking and savings account, they'll totally shaft you. Nowadays with online banks that offer interest rates with 5%+ interest and free electronic transfers, there's no reason to keep a lot of money in the crappy accounts that most B&M banks offer.