Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Forget NFL network.. ARIZONA ST @ USC

There was almost an entire section of the upper deck that was empty, how could they have gotten that much for a ticket?
Old 11-23-2007, 02:24 PM

I don't know, but they did.

Very surprised to hear that there were empty seats. Are you sure this wasn't something you saw early in the game? I went to Cal-ASU and the east side upper deck didn't fill up until nearly the second quarter, but it eventually did.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:40 PM

ASU was a little over-rated, they should have been 14th according to power ratings. But the way USC demolished them I think USC might be the best team in the country now. They had a horrible run of injuries, but now they are healthy they are rolling. Too bad we have this frigging BCS system and no playoffs cause they deserve a shot.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:56 PM

Err, didn't they LOSE TO STANFORD? They had "a shot". They lost, twice. Why do they deserve another shot?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Err, didn't they LOSE TO STANFORD? They had "a shot". They lost, twice. Why do they deserve another shot?

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't deserve a shot over anyone more deserving obviously, but using your system, assuming the best teams win out, the NFL title game should just be Patriots versus winners of Cowboys/Packers? Colts/Steelers/losers of Cowboys/Packers/Giants have all blown it and don't deserve a shot?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:29 PM

What do you mean don't deserve a shot?

I'll make it really clear: THE REGULAR SEASON QUALIFIES AS A SHOT. Everyone deserves a shot, everyone gets a shot. Some teams don't lose to [censored] Stanford.

Losing to Stanford is by far the worst loss of any title contenders.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean don't deserve a shot?

I'll make it really clear: THE REGULAR SEASON QUALIFIES AS A SHOT. Everyone deserves a shot, everyone gets a shot. Some teams don't lose to [censored] Stanford.

Losing to Stanford is by far the worst loss of any title contenders.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. An elite team just doesn't lose at home to a 40 point underdog. Obviously Stanford isn't better than them, but if you're an elite team even if you have a bad game and injuries you still win that game. If we're going to ignore this then what the hell, let's just quit playing altogether, run sims to pick winners, and move on. That'll be so much more fun.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:53 PM

i posted this in the pac 10 thread but anyone thinks usc doesn't deserve a shot is pretty dumb. this would be like saying the colts didn't deserve to be in the super bowl last year even though it was pretty obvious that they were the best team in the nfl and most of there regular season mediocrity was due to injuries and other nonsense
Old 11-23-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i posted this in the pac 10 thread but anyone thinks usc doesn't deserve a shot is pretty dumb. this would be like saying the colts didn't deserve to be in the super bowl last year even though it was pretty obvious that they were the best team in the nfl and most of there regular season mediocrity was due to injuries and other nonsense

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to not understand at all that the 1) the way we determine champions in the NFL and college is different and 2) the way we determine a champion need not be the same as determining the best team. Once you realize this you'll realize that calling everyone "dumb" is in fact "dumb." Now, you might think that a system which determines a champion should be the same as one which determines the "best" team. That's aother argument entirely, but realize that no team sport in America is designed this way, and we like that way. It's okay that the "best" team doesn't win. It's wrong if it's a crapshoot but it's okay to have upsets matter too.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i posted this in the pac 10 thread but anyone thinks usc doesn't deserve a shot is pretty dumb. this would be like saying the colts didn't deserve to be in the super bowl last year even though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. USC has looked deeply flawed throughout most of the year. The fact that injuries were part of that and they now have an impressive win at ASU isn't enough to turn that around in the eyes of most observers. The Colts have nothing to do with it. Maybe a poker analogy will show me the error in my thinking. I love all things Pac10 so it should be easy to convince me.