Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Pettitte opts out

I found this online. It seems the # of Type A and Type B free agents is only dependent on the # of free agents on the market. It doesn't actually matter how good the players are since they Types are assigned to the top 40% of players.

Free agents are grouped into three types of players; Type A, Type B and Unclassified.

Type A players comprise of players in the top 20 percent of their positions. A team that signs a Type A player must give its top draft pick to the team that is losing the player. The team that lost the player also receives a supplemental pick between the first and second rounds. However, if the signing team has a draft pick in the first half of the first round (picks 1-15), their first round pick is protected and would then surrender their next highest draft pick.

Type B players comprise of players in the top 21-40 percent of their positions. Any team that loses a Type B players receives a supplemental pick, but the signing team does not lose any picks.

Any team who loses an unclassified player is not subject to any compensation.

The formula to determine player types, which is not widely known, is comprised of several factors, including statistical analysis of the players previous two seasons, and players are grouped into the following positional categories: 1B/DH/OF, 2B/SS/3B, C, SP, and RP.

In order for the former team of a free agent to receive compensation for losing a player to free agency, the player must sign with another team before December 2 or the team must have offered the player arbitration before December 1.

If a team signs multiple free agents from within the same category, the team loses picks in order of the highest-ranked players.

Teams are limited to the number of Type A and Type B free agents they can sign, which is determined by the number of free agents available. Example: If there are less than 14 Type A or B free agents, no one team can sign more than one Type A or B free agent. According to Law, last season there were approximately 93 Type A or B free agents, who filed for free agency, which left the per-team quota at eight.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:10 AM

Dynasty,

I already posted that in the link above.

Also, I have to assume the ESB formula is a pile of crap and overvalues things like RBI's and SB.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:12 AM

the ESB formula thinks Lowell is better than A-Rod.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I haven't looked at this year's list, beyond the fact that David Ortiz scored a perfect 100 this year. But that's just...wow. LOL.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so
Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 AM

I don't understand the pros of Pettitte opting out if he will only play for the Yankees next year unless of course he thinks he can squeeze them for more cash.

The given reason, to open a roster spot, seems lame.

He could just excercise the option and then if he doesn't want to play come February, retire.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:49 AM

Doesn't the open roster spot help them in regards to the Rule V draft?

I have literally no idea if it does or not, I'm just saying.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It might help the Yankees, but it doesn't help Pettitte at all. So if he is opting for more money then this reason is imo pretty lame.

But maybe the guy's motives are pure and he just wants what's best for the Yankees. Rare these days.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 AM

Ive always thought Pettite was overate (mainly because because act like he's been schilling in the playoffs) but hes stilla very good pitcher and I hope he comes back.
If it really were about making the most money possible he wouldve signed a long term contract last year.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does.

Pettitte has been very upfront with the Yankees -- and he is helping the Yankees by becoming a free agent (if he is true to his word of going nowhere but the Yankees). If he had taken the option he would have definitely needed to be added to the 40-man roster leaving another player vulnerable.

I am not sure what the effect would have been if the Yankees extended the time he could exercise the option (as was discussed in the last few days)-- they may still have needed to hold a spot for him even though he hadn't decided...

Edit: Actually, Pettitte had a long conversation with Cashman, so I wouldn't be surprised if they both agreed that this would be best for both sides...