Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 12:52 AM

Default 5/10 AQs - use of relative position

Not been at the table too long, but CO was 27/9/2 and UTG was 30/4/1.

Thoughts on the flop and turn appreciated as this is a line I've not taken very often, but it seemed right at the time.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

River: (11.20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font> ...

The plan is obviously to check call the river UI.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:18 AM

Default Re: 5/10 AQs - use of relative position

UTG is frequently going to fold the flop anyway, but given that he didn't, I like the way you handled the turn. And the flop lead seems okay to me too.

Edit: There is one drawback to the plan, which is that UTG almost surely has the odds to call CO's flop raise. But you did make him pay on the turn.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:10 AM

I like it.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:06 AM

I like 3 betting the flop as CO could be raising with a wide range of hands in an attempt to isolate the UTG in position. AQs is enough of a hand for this and it might also get the pot HU against an inferior hand. However given the action on the flop I prefer 3 betting the flop and hopefully getting it HU against the CO or at the least trying to figure out what UTG is caling with. If CO caps I check and call the turn and check and raise the river as the 6 of diamons certainly won't scare ak. This is all assuming that the UTG folds to the 3 bet flop. If UTG hangs in there to the tremendous flop aggression then I would be worried he's sandbagging a set. Anyway, I think your line was ok, however I think it was a bit weak and with a hand thats only fearing one hand (ak) I think you can play it a little more aggressively on the flop. I will add that in the absence of the UTG I think that after the CO raises you on the flop more value comes from taking a way ahead/way behind approach.

Actually the more I think about this hand I'm starting to lean more towards check raising the flop due to the presence of the UTG. This may be a better line. If it works an the UTG folds and you get 3 betted by the CO then you can check and call. Again, I also think this is an easy river check raise as that 3rd diamond will almost never dter him from betting if he does in fact have a hand like ak. Sorry for the jumbled mess of ideas and I'd also appreciate any feedback on these thoughts.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG is frequently going to fold the flop anyway, but given that he didn't, I like the way you handled the turn. And the flop lead seems okay to me too.

Edit: There is one drawback to the plan, which is that UTG almost surely has the odds to call CO's flop raise. But you did make him pay on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will always threebet the flop here given villains stats. I think its a bad line on the flop. If UTG was a callingstation who played all kinds of hands then i would only call the flopreraise. Nick C: Are you saying that you would take this line yourself?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nick C: Are you saying that you would take this line yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I took Hero's line on the flop, then, yes, I would do what Hero did on the turn.

3-betting the flop is an option, partly because we might want to try to drive out UTG and his probable 2-5 outer. But if he's going to keep chasing on the turn UI despite the possibility of yet another raise behind him, then that's great. Having someone without the odds effectively "cold-call" on the installment plan is a good result.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:00 AM

why not check-raise the flop to face UTG with 2 cold?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why not check-raise the flop to face UTG with 2 cold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't too worried about UTG. The board is pretty drawless.

My goal in this hand was to keep him in and create a larger pot. I suspected my hand could have been good, but if not, I was surely ahead of him, so I felt it better to allow him to stick around in the event I improved on the turn.

If the flop was more coordinated, I would certainly check-raise.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:57 PM

if out of position against only one other player, i like the line. but, here, because utg is a threat (at least a mild threat), i think reraising on the flop is best in an attempt to remove utg....
Old 06-14-2006, 02:38 PM

I would 3 beet the Flop and check call the river. The only hands you fear are AA and AK, so 3 bet the flop to see what CO does. . . betting out the turn has pretty much the same effect (gather info) but you have another card and the bet size doubles. Why not 3 bet when the bets are cheaper?

Given the way the C/O played I would definately Check/Call the river, the pot is big and his stats are pretty loose so check call and hope for the best.