FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Alternative energy and the Automobile Industry

The diesel engine.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You need not worry about "harming" the automobile or oil industries. There are over 100 kinds of autos (available throughout the world) that get over 40 MPG on the highway, and only two are available in the U.S., and they are the expensive ones.

The Kia Rio gets 38MPG under perfect conditions and its base price is 10.5K

Does that give you an indication of who is running the show?

[/ QUOTE ]

why doesn't detroit put out loads of these types of cars then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you been to detroit lately? It's almost a ghost town.

Did you see the documentary on HBO about the electric car they tried to push in L.A.? According to the sales reps they interviewed, they had long waiting lists for the cars.
They were, however, using a poor design of battery, and not using the battery invented by ....I forget his name, but bought his company. Later an oil company bought the battery company and the cars were taken back from the customers who were leasing them ( you could only lease them) and crushed, so that any memory of them would be forgotten.

Those cars were expensive, however, they were not being mass produced, as GM was testing the waters. In the documentary, they interviewed a guy who had a cute sports car, that he claims runs like a sports car and gets 300 miles to a charge.

Why has there been no federal raise in the required MPG on cars in over 25 years?

It's like I've been saying for years, just as Eisenhower warned us of the Military Industrial Complex, I have been advocating that the U.S. is run by the Big Business Machine.

Bottom line: There is a lot of oil left. It's there and it has a value and the oil companies are all setup to profit from it. They don't want to retool until they have no other choice.

Have you notice how last year, when oil went from $55 a barrel to $65 a barrel, gas prices shot up, but this year, they are pushing $100 a barrel and I still get gas at the price I was paying when it was $65 a barrel.

Whazzup with that?.... Because they know a corresponding price increase at the pump will have deflationary effects on the economy, which will have a more negative effect than them making X more dimes per gallon. In addition, with the subprime market and the Bush Deficit screaming : U.S. economy in trouble! They don't want to add fuel to the fire.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You need not worry about "harming" the automobile or oil industries. There are over 100 kinds of autos (available throughout the world) that get over 40 MPG on the highway, and only two are available in the U.S., and they are the expensive ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see the documentary on HBO about the electric car they tried to push in L.A.? According to the sales reps they interviewed, they had long waiting lists for the cars.
They were, however, using a poor design of battery, and not using the battery invented by ....I forget his name, but bought his company. Later an oil company bought the battery company and the cars were taken back from the customers who were leasing them ( you could only lease them) and crushed, so that any memory of them would be forgotten.

Those cars were expensive, however, they were not being mass produced, as GM was testing the waters. In the documentary, they interviewed a guy who had a cute sports car, that he claims runs like a sports car and gets 300 miles to a charge.

Why has there been no federal raise in the required MPG on cars in over 25 years?

It's like I've been saying for years, just as Eisenhower warned us of the Military Industrial Complex, I have been advocating that the U.S. is run by the Big Business Machine.

Bottom line: There is a lot of oil left. It's there and it has a value and the oil companies are all setup to profit from it. They don't want to retool until they have no other choice.

Have you notice how last year, when oil went from $55 a barrel to $65 a barrel, gas prices shot up, but this year, they are pushing $100 a barrel and I still get gas at the price I was paying when it was $65 a barrel.

Whazzup with that?.... Because they know a corresponding price increase at the pump will have deflationary effects on the economy, which will have a more negative effect than them making X more dimes per gallon. In addition, with the subprime market and the Bush Deficit screaming : U.S. economy in trouble! They don't want to add fuel to the fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post, thanks.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Here is what George Carlin has to say:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...eoID=935607276
Old 10-28-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good post, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah youre right, it couldnt have anything to do with market fundamentals.

"Some analysts argue that the underlying fundamentals don’t support such high prices, and say speculative buying is the real reason prices are rising. Tim Evans, an analyst at Citigroup Inc. in New York, noted that despite last week’s decline in domestic inventories, supplies remain high by historic standards. Also, the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries is set to boost production by 500,000 barrels a day beginning Nov. 1.

“What we’re seeing ... is rising supply and relatively weak demand,” Evans said. He believes oil’s “true value” is closer to $65 a barrel."
Old 10-28-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You just need gasoline to become so expensive that regular joes can't afford to buy trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know more about economics than 99.9% of people I ever met!!!
Old 10-28-2007, 11:54 PM

http://www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com/
A great documentary that was mentioned earlier in this thread. The GM debacle was absolutely insane to watch play out. They took back all of these cars and destroyed them even though people were pleading with them to buy them. Heh, they have an interview with Mel Gibson where he talks about how he was confused as hell about how he could not get purchase one of these cars outright for any price.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

American people own the companies you refer to. You can too, buy their stocks if you think they control the world.

If you think the electric car can be produced profitably raise the money from all the Liberal conspiracy kooks and do it yourself. Moveon.org would be a good start, Soros has billions.

Why do liberal conspiracy kooks think "The Man" is holding them down? This is a land of enormous capital and opportunity, go do something yourself and don't wait for people you think are crooks to do it for you.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A great documentary that was mentioned earlier in this thread. The GM debacle was absolutely insane to watch play out. They took back all of these cars and destroyed them even though people were pleading with them to buy them. Heh, they have an interview with Mel Gibson where he talks about how he was confused as hell about how he could not get purchase one of these cars outright for any price.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmm, because GM would lose a fortune on keeping parts and service available for them, and have their reputation hit hard if they didnt provide that kind of support for cars they sell?

Its the free market in action, not another idiotic conspiracy.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmm, because GM would lose a fortune on keeping parts and service available for them, and have their reputation hit hard if they didnt provide that kind of support for cars they sell?

Its the free market in action, not another idiotic conspiracy.

[/ QUOTE ]
They would not have been hit hard at all. They intentionally sunk the EV1. It's pretty obvious they were not looking to make money on this venture. They had zero foresight when it came to the market for energy efficient cars. They were forced by california legislation to actually produce this car in the first place. They were given a forced leg up in the market. It is quite obvious they wanted nothing to do with it.

The free market in action is when GM does poorly in the market because they gave away the green market by killing a car that could have given them a massive jump on the foriegn market. I don't know if you would call it a conspiracy as much as a car company not being interested in making money at all.

I like the story my teacher told me in one of my history classes. When the automobile started becoming popular and took over as the main means of travel by the average person there were factories that made rubber buggy whips. Some of the places saw the future and switched over to making rubber tires. Other places kept making buggy whips. They are gone now. GM seems to be content making buggy whips.