Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 01:28 AM

Default Atlantis Final Table (Really long)

Ok, I'm going to try to go through the Cardplayer updates (with corrections) and post my cards and some brief thoughts for basically all the hands I played. I guess we'll see how good my memory is. Wow, this turned out to be super long...Oh well, enjoy.

Level 1 - Blinds 10k/20k - 2k ante
Hand 1: I'm pretty sure Ozzy will be looking to double up early so i've decided to only raise a solid hand here. Pick up 77, that's good enough. I make it 60k utg, he pushes his 229k from the bb. Fairly straightforward call I think. He has aces, I'm lucky. Down to 5 players.

Hand 3: I raise to 60k from the button with JT. Brook calls in the bb. Flop is AA7. I bet 74k and he folds.

Hand 12: Higgins raises to 60k from the button. I call from the bb with Kd7d. Flop comes QcJs3c. I check, Higgins bets 80k. I'm pretty sure he's missed so I try to raise to 250k. Don't bring enough chips with me and have to settle for 200k. He folds. I decide to start announcing my raises...

Hand 16: I raise to 60k utg with 77. Brook calls from the button and Higgins calls from the sb. Flop's Js8d4s. Higgins checks, I check, Brook bets 200k. We both fold. C-bet anyone?

Hand 18: Folded to me in the sb with 76o. I limp, Singer checks. Flop's Th6h4h. I bet 34k, Singer calls semi-quickly. Turn's the 3d. I check, planning to reevaluate. Singer bets 90k. Uggh. I wish I'd bet now. His range is pretty wide here, I definitely think he's capable of calling the flop to take it away on the turn. I call. Turn's a 9d. I check, he checks and shows J6 to take the pot.

Hand 21: I raise to 60k utg with Ah4h. Singer calls from the CO and Anders call from the bb. Flop's JhTc5s. Anders checks. I didn't c-bet last time with two callers so I hope this one will get some respect. I bet 108k, they both fold. At this point, you may wonder why I always bet odd amounts. I liked to put two piles with some chips on top...I'm not weird...

Hand 24: I raise from the button to 60k with QJ or something like that. Singer reraises to 220k. I fold.

Level 2 - $15k/$30k - 3k ante

Level 1 went reasonably well. Got lucky once and a couple little pots went well but I was reasonably quiet.

Hand 27: Higgins makes it 100k from the button. I call with 22. Flop is 9d7c4c. I check-fold to his 125k bet.

Hand 28: I limp from the small blind. I can't remember what I had this hand. Singer raises 75k more and I call. I check-fold the 9s4c2s flop and decide I should probably get a little more aggressive sometime soon.

We get 4-handed at this point.

Hand 31: Singer makes it 80k from utg. I have KK and raise 250k total. He folds.

Hand 32: I raise to 90k from the sb with Js9s. Singer makes it 300k from the bb. This was a tough spot for me, I don't want to fold to a reraise for the 3rd straight time and I have a reasonable hand. I call. Flop's AsJc4s. I check (planning to check-raise all-in). I wish I'd bet out because he checks behind. Turn's the 8c. I check again. He checks. River's a 9. I bet 300k. Singer calls and mucks. This hand makes me chip leader.

Hand 35: Brook min-raises from the button. I call with A3o. Flop's 872. I check, Brook bets 200k and I fold. I seem to be the only one calling at the table and decide my image is probably really good for a resteal if a good spot arises.

Hand 42: I raise to 90k with AQo. Singer calls on the button. Flop's Js8s2s (I have no spade). I check. Singer bets 100k. I probably should have folded here but I call, mainly to see if he fires again. I'm a little confused by his small bet, his bets have generally been bigger. Turn's the 3d. I check, he bets 300k and I fold.

Hand 43: Brook raises to 90k from the button. I call from the bb with Kh2h. (I feel like I'm calling too much, but I also feel reasonably comfortable postflop, so I'm not all that worried about it). Flop's Ts5s4h. I decide to bet out 150k. Brook does a little acting job and calls. I'm done with the hand. Turn and river double pair the board and we chop when he shows KQ. Weird...I was pretty sure he had a big hand after the flop call. This is very important later.

We get 3-handed.

Hand 47: Brook quickly raises to 125k. I make it 450k with T2s. At the time I was pretty confident he'd fold. He does. Stacks were around 2.2 for me, 2.8 for him.

Hand 49: Singer raises on the button to 75k. I call with some cards. Flop's 7s6c2c. I check and fold to a 145k bet. I still seem to be the only one who ever calls.

Level 3: 25k/50k - 5k ante

Hand 51: I make it 150k from the button with AQ. Both call. Flop's Kh6s5h, I have no heart. Check, check, I bet 255k. Singer makes it 655k total with about 1.5M behind. I really get the feeling he'll fold to a push, but can't pull the trigger. I eventually fold. I hope they show this on tv so at least I can see if my read was right.

Hand 53: I limp with T8o. Singer checks. Flop's AK3. I check, Singer bets 50k, I make it 175k, he folds.

Hand 57: Singer makes it 125k from the button. Brook calls. I call with 43s. Flop's Qc9s4h. Checked around. Turn's the 4c. Brook bets 400k. He's got a Q here a lot. I have 1.7M total and decide to call. I considered raising but thought he'd fold a queen quite often. I'm hoping no club on the river and he'll pay me off pretty well I think. River's the 6c. Damn. He checks. I'm 99% sure I have the best hand. He likes to value bet small so I'm hoping a biggish bet might be interpreted as a bluff. I bet 700k, he folds. Oh well.

Hand 60: Brook limps from the sb and I raise 150k more with TT. He folds. I kick myself a bit. I could've guaranteed he'd fold to that raise. Is there any merit to checking and hoping he catches a piece of a low flop? Probably not.

Hand 62: This was a huge hand for me. I limp in the small blind with 76 and Singer raises 75k more. I call. Flop's 9d6c3c and I check. Singer bets 100k. These small bets are pretty out of character. I call. Turn's the 4s and it goes check-check. River's a K. I check. Singer bets 325k. Not a nice river. I spent a lot of time on this and spent a lot of it staring at Singer. I really felt he was weak. I call. He mumbles something (it must have been "it's good" or something) and flips over JT. This hand gave me a big boost in confidence.

As they play yet another tiny pot, I shake my head at how every confrontation involves me.

Hand 64: Lyter min-raises from the sb and I call. Flop's As8s5d. He check-folds to my 100k bet. I really don't remember this hand at all.

Hand 65: I raise 63s in the sb to 150k and the power goes out. Ummmmm...what? So they pause the whole tournament for about 20 minutes with my raise out there. We finally get back, Singer raises 500k more and I fold.

At this point, I have about 2.9M, Brook and Singer are both around 2.2M.

Hand 67: Singer raises to 125k from the button. Brook calls and I call with 97o. Flop's 977(!). Brook checks, I bet 175k (I led with nothing earlier, felt this was the best way to get paid off vs. an overpair or a 9 or even someone who wants to try to run me off the hand). Singer quickly folds but Brook minraises. I have no idea what he has, but obviously I'm not going anywhere. I call. Turn's a K and he bets 400k. I think I probably should have just let him keep firing but I push. He has 1.2M more. He thinks forever, says he has a K, says he thinks I have a K and then folds. He says he had KJ.

Hand 68: I limp with T6o or something. Singer checks. I convince myself that the bb is 20k. Flop's Jh8d3h. I bet 25k (b/c the bb is 20k, right?). I'm reminded the bb is 50k...I bet 50k. Singer raises. I ask if I'm allowed to take 25k back as I fold. I'm not...

Hand 77: Brook raises to 200k from the sb and has about 1.4M behind. I have J4s or something like that. I feel pretty confident that he'll fold. I raise to 600k. He folds.

I win some blinds and antes and get up to ~4.2M with Brook around 850k and Singer at 2.1 or something.

Hand 79: Singer raises to 150k from the button. Brook calls and I call with K9o. Flop's 9s6d4c. Checked to Singer who bets 350k. Brook folds. I've been pretty aggressive recently. I have no problem taking the pot here and I think a push may be called with some worse hands (most 9s, maybe even 88, 77.) I push. Singer thinks a second, calls and shows T9. I'm actually going to win the tournament. I'm about to have 6.5M heads up with Brook. This is the first time I actually think about winning the tournament. Turn's an 8. River's a 7. Uggh...To make matters worse, my cheering section doesn't see the straight for a while and starts cheering while I shake my head in disgust...

At least we get a 5 minute break before the blinds go up to 40k/80k - 10k ante.

Hand 80: - Brook says 150k (standard raise for the last level) and is reminded that blinds just went up. He's forced to make it 160k, with about 650k behind. I make it 500k with 77. He's insta-all-in and I unhappily call. He has KK and I go from a lock to win to 3rd in chips. Sigh...

Hands 81-83: I buy the blinds with 88 and AK and get a walk.

Hand 84: I limp on the button with 66, Singer limps and Brook checks. Flop's Kc8s5d. Checked around. Turn's the Jc. They check, I bet 125k, they fold.

Hand 87 is the first time Singer and Brook play a big pot. Singer raises and c-bets. Brook pushes the flop and singer folds.

I get a walk on hand 88.

Hand 90: I raise to 200k with Kd2d. Singer calls from the sb. Flop's As8d7d. Singer checks. I really believe I have about 1M in chips but it's really more like 1.6 or so. I bet 500k, clearly committing myself (if I have 1M). Basically, if I have 1M I thought this was the bet with the most FE against an 8 or 7. Singer thinks and makes it 1.5M and I realize how many chips I have. Uggh...I should've bet smaller and either 3bet or folded depending on the size of his raise. Now I'm forced to call. There's about 3M in there and I have just over 1M. I put in my last chips and Singer calls. He turns over Ad9, which pretty much sucks for me. Turn's an A. I'm up and walking around, even get ready to tap the table and say good game. River's the 4d. Wow. I can't take much more of this craziness.

Hand 94: Brook raises to 220k and has about 2M more. I make it 600k with A6, probably folding if he pushes. Thankfully he folds.

Hand 97: I'm not good. Brook raises to 250k from the sb. I call with QJo. Flop's 8d6c2h. He's given up a few times before and he checks again. I bet 400k. He thinks and thinks, gives a similar-ish acting job as to the KQ hand. I stare at the table after betting so I don't really know what he's doing. I'm later told he was basically broadcasting that he'd flopped a monster. He calls. Turn's a Q. He checks. I'm pretty sure I have the best hand but tell myself I should check behind. He's going to fold to the turn bet anyways. Yet I say 500k and put it out there. He pushes for 700k more. I'm probably smoked at this point, but can't say no to 4.5-1. Of course I'm drawing dead to his 88 and I double him up. Note to self: Stop doubling him up.

Hand 99: I make it 225k from the button with AsQs (not AsKs as Cardplayer reported). Singer calls from the small blind. Flop's QhJh4d. Singer checks, I bet 350k and he quickly pushes. I ask for a count and then call. He shows KK. Damn. Turn's an A. Wow. River's a Q. wow. So now we're heads up. I'd feel bad about getting lucky, but you know...

So we get to heads up with chip counts of 3.26M for me and 3.99M for Brook. 680k for 2nd and 1.36M for 1st. This is pretty huge.

Hand 100: Brook limps. We check the whole way, he bets the river and I fold some garbage.

Hand 101: I make it 200k with Jc6c. He calls. Flop's Kd9s7s. He checks, I bet 250k, he calls. Turn's the 5h. He checks, I check. River's the 3c. He checks and I'm pretty sure he missed a flush draw or something. I bet 350k and he folds. We're about even now.

Hand 102: He raises, I fold.

Hand 103: I raise to 200k with JT. He calls. Flop's AQ2 and he check folds to my 250k bet.

Hand 104: Brook limps, I check K8o. Flop's QQ6 and I bet 95k. He folds.

I have about 500-700k more than him.

Hand 105: I limp with QsTc and he raises 300k more. I have a slight feeling he's a little weak here and decide to call. Flop's Js9s2c and he bets 300k. I'm pretty sure I can get him to fold a lot of hands here. I raise to 1.5M. I want to show him I'm committed but I feel like a push looks too much like a draw. He thinks FOREVER. He finally pushes, about 1.2M more or something. I have to call. He has KcJd and I'm a 60-40 underdog. Mike Sexton is behind me talking and says I need a K or an 8. I tell him I'll take a Q too, he says a K or an 8. Turn's a Q. He's going on about how I need another Q or something. I have a video of me turning to him and saying "I have the best hand, me." and pointing to myself. It's one of my favourite videos. River's a K. My favourite video is me giving a fist pump while the whole crowd sighs because they see his two pair before my straight. I WIN!!!

So, all in all I ran pretty well at the final table. I think I might have played a little passively but I felt pretty comfortable postflop. For those of you interested, the whole WPT final table is a bit of an odd thing. We had to get there at 8:30 to get make up but ended up waiting around until 11 for it to start. And then everything takes forever because they need to make sure the cameras get everything. Every flop with no river, they'd do the rabbit cam. Everytime someone folded but their cards weren't seen, they'd get their cards sent back to show the cameras. It was all pretty ridiculous. Plus the dealers were forced to do everything extra slow. But despite all of that, it's obviously a ton of fun. They told me afterward this was the most exciting WPT final table ever...I guess so. Those hands during the final three basically gave me several heart attacks. At the end of the tournament I was so exhausted I just wanted to go home and sleep. Instead I had to do all kinds of interviews and things I generally don't enjoy doing. Now that I'm back in Canada, every news station, newspaper, radio station, etc. seems to want to talk to me. Not really what I expected, but the 1.3M makes it a whole lot easier to do.

Thanks to all the 2+2 posters who have helped me so much in the past and thanks to whoever took the time to read all of this. I hope it was enjoyed by at least a few people, it took a lot longer than I expected.

Steve

P.S. If you have any questions about any of these hands or just the WPT final table experience, feel free to pm me or ask in here.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Atlantis Final Table (Really long)

Keep up the good work! Congratulations again!
Old 01-17-2006, 02:01 AM

Nice series of posts, I appreciate all the effort.

I was in the small crowd on the steps, but only at the beginning due to Ozzy's early exit. I also was subject to the WPT production delays. Note the guy in the upper left in the white shirt standing next to 2+2's own Roman, aka Empire2000.

For those who haven't been to a WPT taping, we were taping cutaway shots of applause. We also did shots of us looking upset, confused, happy, interested and probably a few more that I'm forgetting. Suffice it to say that I suck at acting and exactly zero people will be convinced of my fake emotional state when they see the cutaway shots during the broadcasts. We were obviously there to cheer for Ozzy, but you made the right play with the 77.

Congrats again on the win.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:37 AM

Awesome report.

Congrats congrats congrats.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Sexton is behind me talking and says I need a K or an 8. I tell him I'll take a Q too, he says a K or an 8. Turn's a Q. He's going on about how I need another Q or something. I have a video of me turning to him and saying "I have the best hand, me." and pointing to myself. It's one of my favourite videos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOLed at that little bit.

Great post.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mike Sexton is behind me talking and says I need a K or an 8. I tell him I'll take a Q too, he says a K or an 8. Turn's a Q. He's going on about how I need another Q or something. I have a video of me turning to him and saying "I have the best hand, me." and pointing to myself. It's one of my favourite videos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOLed at that little bit.

Great post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, could you put that up on Google Video or get it to someone so they can host it? Sounds hilarious.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:00 AM

I can't wait to see this on TV.
Great tourney and congratulations Steve.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 AM

great report and congratulations.

how did you qualify for the PCA?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
great report and congratulations.

how did you qualify for the PCA?

[/ QUOTE ]

I played some of $22 turbos to the $650 and won my seat in my first $650.

Steve
Old 01-18-2006, 01:14 AM

Congrats on the win.

My question is: do they write you a check, or credit your Stars account or what? I assume the cash dumping on the table is for show?

Thanks