Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: $60k-$80k
0-20% 2 11.11%
20-40% 7 38.89%
40-60% 8 44.44%
60-80% 0 0%
80-100% 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (10/21) (spoilers to come) *DELETED*

Is it me or is the most boring series of highs high stakes poker? I mean the 72 game was interesting, and has probably been the highlight of the series so far, but if i wanted to see AQ vs. TT all in pre-flop i'll watch the WSOP!

Unlike seasons 1 +2 there havent been too many hands of interest, can't wait for barry and doyle to join game!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i play 2/5 nl

[/ QUOTE ]

not to get too too hung up on this, but really, this is like .25/.50 online, maybe lower?

do you understand why that is?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You Jman haters are idiots.

IIRC he said he only got to play for 2 hours. With all the hollywooding that goes on, I would be surprised if he got dealt more than 30 or 40 hands in that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for proving my point. Offer a simple opinion on jman that does not tow the 2+2 party line and be labeled a hater. Too funny.

Put aside your manlove for a minute and reread some of these posts before labeling anyone an idiot or a hater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes it only takes a few hands to know someone is a terrible player. (i.e. - Victor Ramdin on HSP.)

The critisim of Jman seems to be he only played a few hands. Well, he was only dealt 30 or 40 hands and he had other reasons to play tight that he already explained in NVG. The hands he played that they showed he played fine.

BTW - I have no manlove for Jman other than knowing he's a very good player. Although I do have to admit his cap was quite sexy.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play 2/4 and 3/6 online and 10/20 live when it runs here in Calgary. I played 5/10 in vegas this summer. 2/4nl online is much much tougher than either 5/10 or 10/20 live.

Why do online players think their style is better than live pros? Because, although most live pros play decent post flop, they have absolutely huge spew preflop. So, when you mix that in with the fact they don't value bet thin like ever, play combo draws passive, never 3-bet less than the nutz, call 3-bets out of position with any cards that were good enough to raise, call raises out of position with any cards that were good enough to limp, call every time they hit a flop regardsless if it's bottom pair and there are 6 to the flop, raise to see where they're at, fold to tripple barrels on drawy boards but always calling the first two with mp, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.. great generalizations. tonight when i play i hope i run into all of these players.. i've seen them sure.. but i never knew every single one was so bad.

is
Old 10-24-2007, 03:16 PM

I love the Internets.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i play 2/5 nl

[/ QUOTE ]

not to get too too hung up on this, but really, this is like .25/.50 online, maybe lower?

do you understand why that is?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure i totally agree with you... from my time in AC i can see the games there fitting your description. i started out in poker on party poker. i was a .5/1 to a 1/2 player mostly. i was a winning player but not huge winner there. i then started searching for bigger local games as party shut out the US.

I do not have the ability to multi table cash games well on the net. it's much easier to target bad players live .. also they bring more buy ins and stay longer. they don't jump from table to table like online.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jman raised bringing it in.

on the diamond flop ... why didn't he bet something between 13,000 and 16,000. once he checks sammy bets the turn.... why can't jman consider this a steal attempt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think that if Phil was last to act he probably would have. But after committing $6.5K preflop, throwing another $16K postflop against 2 players who could call with you beat or with air (or reraise you with air) would be a little reckless. Folding meant he lost $6.5K on the hand, leading out $16K might mean winning the hand or it might mean losing $22.5K or more - why risk it so soon after sitting down?

I think that on the last hand of the day Phil might have thrown a bet out postflop, but this was one of the first hands he played and he probably thought he would get 3 or 4 more opportunities later. From what I saw on TV it seems that he may have only had one other quality hand in the entire time he was there - luckily he got a good flop with that one.

I think that on that hand it was OK to bet postflop or check and call or check and fold - there are good valid reasons for each play and for a player who just sat down and has a couple of hours of play ahead that day and a full day of playing the following day (with $500K buyin) there is no need to risk it all with no idea whether he is ahead or not.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I`m NOT folding, put the money in the pot! ... I`m gonna lay it down"

didnt know "folding" and "laying it down" were two different things... ty, Jamie!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought verbal was binding. Was it just that Hellmuth didn't call him on it and everyone else was shutting up because they weren't in the hand? I thought if Phil wanted to he could make Jamie call or raise based on him saying "I'm not folding".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really not sure what the ruling would be, since he didn't actually verbally declare a specific action. Since he had 3 options, "I'm not folding" doesn't count as declaring an action.

It's possible that Phil could have called him on it, but it would have been somewhat ungentlemanly, since Gold's intent was clearly to say "I actually have something to think about, it's not an instafold that I'm gonna milk for TV time."

[/ QUOTE ]

in this case "i'm not folding" can be interpreted as "i'm not folding right now" .. his turn continues and then he decides to fold.

life is much more difficult when things are not mouse clicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does clicking a mouse have to do with it?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:18 PM

Only thing that irks me is the logic that follows from obvious bias. OK I will accept that Jman played correctly given table dynamics. I am no pro and we didnt see all the hands so who knows what really happened in those other hands, but I will accept it. But if we accept this logic then how can we stand for people criticizing Harman's play or Brandon Adam's play?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:18 PM

Oh and I think that Eli is a very good player for this game.