Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Re: uNL gods need help

If you are in a downswing, fold KTo UTG. you should probably fold it anyway unless game conditions are favorable.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:50 PM

lol ban
Old 09-29-2007, 09:30 PM

OMG I want a Pokey book that's awesome. lol

To OP: I think you're main problem is you're forgetting to consider your opponent. And I don't mean just look at his HUD stats and come to the conclusion that "he's a fish, so i'm ahead almost always so i'll stack off with TP on any board." I mean consider WHY he makes the plays he does, consider his motivation for doing the things he does.

For example, in hand 1 he obviously likes the monotone board or doesn't care so he leads out. He could easily be fast-playing a set or 2pair, or his flush already got there so you're way behind so much already. And by minraising you're giving him good odds to chase his 4 flush draw and pretty much committing him right then and there since 1/2 his stack is already in the pot.

Hand 2 to me is pretty standard. On a tight table, with fish in the blinds, it's really ok to raise hands like KT UTG to mix it up a bit if the table is playing pretty straight-forwardly. They'll assume that your UTG range is tighter and not fight back. Against this kind of resistance on the turn I would throw it away here on a somewhat dry board. This could be a set, or you're racing with an FD.

Really if you just consider villain's motivation behind the action and then measure it against your pot equity you'll be better off and know where you stand post-flop and see less downswongs overall. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2007, 09:34 PM

Hand 2 is really bad. Fold turn plz k thx
Old 09-29-2007, 09:54 PM

This really is not that many hands. The All-In luck is frustrating, but check back at 10k, 20k, 30k hands...it is amazing how the luck swings over the short term, but the two lines converge over time.

As far as the hands go:

HAND 1 - Minraises are lame.

HAND 2 - KTo UTG is also lame. Not horrible, but not super strong.

You say that villain is solid. So what do you think he is raising on the turn that you beat?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:24 PM

OP, the graph you posted about running well shows how much money you won, whereas the graph you posted about running badly shows how unlucky you were. This is apples and oranges. And I think it shows that you are thinking about the wrong things. IMO you are being results-orientated and displaying bad psychology.

Anther example of bad psychology is when you use the phrase "just from today" to introduce the hands you post as though the hands are the most evil and cruel crap ever dished out. But the fact of the matter is that Hand 1 is a combination of badly played and a totally standard cooler, and Hand 2 is just plain badly played.

And for what it's worth 8,000 hands is a few days poker, not a real sample size. If you are panicking about a 3 day downswing you have a lot of pain in your poker future.

Generally, this thread is a horrorshow.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:51 PM

that pokey book looks ruling.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:52 PM

Just got a PM from Pokey saying that he's fine with me giving out my file of the Pokey Wisdom book. I can email it to anyone who's interested.

If interested, send an email to dcmayo@gmail.com

It's only 70 pages, and only the cover is in color. You should be able to get a copy printed and bound for less than $15.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:31 PM

ick... looking back on that 2nd hand it was pretty horrible... The only reason that I posted it(and it wasn't shown) was that he actually thought about his call until his timer was almost gone which was a bit of slowroll in my opinion but I guess he could have thought I had JQ... I was still pissed off at the first hand and the week in general also...

I'm going to take a few weeks off and go back through pokey's stuff(may be a good idea to print that out...) and watch a few card runner videos and such and will be back online at some point next month.

I'm also going to try and play longer sessions next month to try and cut down on some of this short term stuff... looking back on my graph my first 20K hands that I played online this summer(just turned 18) were largely without serious swings...theres always another day and another game.

Good luck with you pokey book Mayo [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] email sent.