Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 10:59 PM

Default OFFICIAL Recipes/Meals Thread

Hey guys,

Just got off deployment, and let me tell you it is not easy eating right on an aircraft carrier. That said, I need to get some variety in my daytime snacks and lunch meal. I have no probs with breakfast, I love eggs so I dont have much problem getting in my protein in the morning. I've been in a bit of a turkey sandwich rut for lunch (prior to going on cruise) and Im looking for more variety in both lunch and in between meals (trying to stick to 5-6 small meals a day). I'm not lifting real heavy right now, waiting til the end of the month after we take our physical readiness test.

So please post your suggestions. Looking foward to hearing from all of you.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: OFFICIAL Recipes/Meals Thread

tuna / hotsauce. tuna w/ mayo. tuna w/ mayo and a few saltine crackers.

i'll add some more when i sober up.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone have other quick/easy tuna recipes? I'm a semi-busto college student, so it would be nice to eat tuna once or twice a day since it's the cheapest protein that I know of, but I can't stand the taste. I'm not a fan of mayo, but I'll try the hot sauce some time. Hopefully half a bottle of Tapatio will cover up the taste/smell somewhat. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2007, 03:41 PM

what tortilla
fat free cheese
grilled chix
FF sour cream
salsa

sweet quesadilla that are delicious and healthy. cook on low temp because using FF cheese the tortilla will burn before cheese melts
Old 09-08-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone have other quick/easy tuna recipes? I'm a semi-busto college student, so it would be nice to eat tuna once or twice a day since it's the cheapest protein that I know of, but I can't stand the taste. I'm not a fan of mayo, but I'll try the hot sauce some time. Hopefully half a bottle of Tapatio will cover up the taste/smell somewhat. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mix up the tuna with a couple egg whites, then cook in a skillet w/ some olive oil. Not sure if it counts for quick, but it's def easy and gives you even more protein.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:52 PM

Tuna+Worcestershire sauce.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mix tuna with Italian or your favorite salad dressing. You can also mix in some veggies or wrap it in lettuce leaves for variety. Melt cheese over it on an english muffin. Mix tuna with some small pasta(orzo or couscous) goat cheese or feta, olives, garlic, onion, olive oil, lemon juice, etc. This also works well with shrimp or chicken.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:45 PM

There's been some decent recipe threads on here before; you might want to check out the archives.

For me the key has always been having things prepared that are easy to grab and go or are quick to heat and eat. I love to cook, but trying to put together 5 meals a day doesn't work unless at least three of them are things that I can quickly grab and eat. Since I don't like powders and lots of processed stuff, this requires some planning. What I found that helps:

-pre-cook, freeze and package individual portions of proteins and anything else that freezes well and reheats easily
-keep lots of fruits and vegetables on hand
-learn to make a couple of quick salad dressings - oils,acidics , and seasoning can be mixed in endless varieties
-hard boil a couple of eggs one day and throw them in the fridge. They are a quick snack, and you can whip up a quick sandwich or throw them in a salad for some protein
-keep shredded cheese on hand
-try something new regularly. A new ingredient, a new recipe, etc. A little variety keeps things interesting and you may stumble across something you really like.

I used to go to a health food store in Philly that made the best salads. They would toss several ingredients into these hand-cranked food processors that would chop the stuff up. The juices would come out of the veggies and you didn't need any dressing. You can do the same thing in a food processor. I always liked carrots,red cabbage, broccoli, celery, and sunflower seeds in mine.

And thanks for your service.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:26 PM

I've never been a fan of tuna until recently.

I buy the all white meat Albacore tuna. Usually Starkist brand. It's good both warm and cold.

Mix in a couple tablespoons of fat free mayo, dice up some celery, and spread on crackers.

Something I like at anytime of the day is 3 egg whites, and 1 egg yolk, scrambled with cheese, turkey, diced tomatoes, black olives wrapped in a flour tortilla.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:54 AM

clementines are a tasty snack.