All-in 7 43.75%
Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
All I can say about the internet so far is that it falls short of my expectations. Now let’s change the subject before I break something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it really hard to have a stable internet connection on any of the islands outside of Bangkok? I want to check out an island like Ko Phangan, but from what I hear it's really hard to have a stable connection.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:46 PM

Can you get USA sports on Satellite TV? Namely College and NFL Football?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:27 PM

Is Degen still Banned?
I would like to know if he got his account working from Thailand.
The best thread on 2+2 and the OP gets Banned?
Old 04-01-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Degen still Banned?
I would like to know if he got his account working from Thailand.
The best thread on 2+2 and the OP gets Banned?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he is still banned.

What do you mean 'his account working'?

PartyPoker account?
Old 04-01-2007, 08:47 PM

Thailand Moneybookers? and Party Poker.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All I can say about the internet so far is that it falls short of my expectations. Now let’s change the subject before I break something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it really hard to have a stable internet connection on any of the islands outside of Bangkok? I want to check out an island like Ko Phangan, but from what I hear it's really hard to have a stable connection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't know about the other islands, but with Phuket being the biggest and most touristed, I'd sort of expect it to get the most attention in terms of stable internet, but our Provider, TOT, has been up and down more times than a bargirls underwear. I'd suggest that doesn't bode well for smaller islands.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Did you go to the stadium on the outskirts of town, on the way to the airport, near the Tesco Lotus? That place is great. I agree the kids were awesome. When we first sat down I thought we got ripped off and were just going to watch kids fight, then dogs, then roosters and eventually just leave sad and a few thousand baht lighter. I was pleased to see some awesome 'big' and 'lady' fights though.

Also, seriously, underpaying for tickets and moving up a few rows? Lame, also, totally noticeable if you went to that stadium that I mentioned. It was a room with a boxing ring and people a few steps away that would be certain to notice. Good way to save a few hundred baht, I guess???!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a woman? Were you with 2 other women, one with side pigtails?

If so, then we probably saw you at the same fight night.

Saving a few hundred baht: My point wasn't necesarily to scam 300THB on the arena but more to point out that there was very little difference between the outer ring and inner ring seats so should another visit, they could easily buy the outer ring seats and not worry about being far away or missing any of the action.

PS Everytime I've gone past SOI Crocodile there has been a Katoey show going on near the front and I'm pretty sure this has been at least "mildy offputting" for WhoIam's entry.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump and Keep the trip reports coming Teabag.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in Australia for most of the NFL season last year and had this problem. One major issue is the time difference--even if you find an amazing sports bar with games from all over the world, most of the games come on at times like 3 or 6am when the bar would be closed. I imagine that you could buy some kind of super satellite dish here that would allow you to get Sunday Ticket. You would also need a Tivo or DVR unless you hate sleeping night. Option #2 is to watch the games on internet p2p streaming networks. I did this last year and the games were pixelated, choppy, often froze completely, and I had no idea what the lines were doing. Of course with the way the Steelers played last season, this was a good thing. Maybe the technology will improve by this season, but I wouldn't count on it. Option #3 is to get a friend to stream you games through slingbox or something. I don't know much about this.

Just to put some perspective on things here, yesterday I spent a few hours grinding $50NL and made twice the average monthly salary for Thailand.

Last weekend a bunch of rich Thai teenagers stayed at one of the villas here. It was like the Thai version of the OC.

In Thai popular culture you'll often see random English words, much the way we will often use random Spanish words or phrases in casual conversation. For example, I'll be watching Thai TV and it will say "blah blah blah SUPER SEXY blah blah POTATO blah." There's even a cable channel called "News 24" that anchors pronounce "News Twenty-four" but everything else is in Thai. Cultural imperialism is awesome.

Our new internet connection is not only fast enough to play poker, we can even watch streaming video if we allow for a longer-than-average buffering time. In short, we're partying like it's 1999.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:30 AM

i'm visiting with a buddy in may. we're flying into bangkok, and want to go to Phuket, Phi Phi island, soh kamui. just wondering what you guys recommend for going from bangkok to phuket. bus? flight?
Closed Thread