Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Calling down w/middle pair

[ QUOTE ]
This line is fine but why is betting the turn better than check/calling the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
ppl that arent totally retarded will tend to play perfect if u take the c/c c/c line

the c/c line feels easy bc u dont have to make any difficult decisions but it usually spews sklansky bux
Old 03-19-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is he cold calling with preflop? Does he peel the flop super light? After he calls preflop, I assume he will usually raise the flop. I often c/f flop against these guys here. I don't like the turn b/c. If I can't b/f this turn, I'd much rather c/c (If I'm worried he could be semibluff/bluff raising too often to fold to a raise, he'll usually bet when checked to).

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking that flop is a mistake b/c I take it down UI often enough to make it +EV. On top of that checking makes me look way to predictable. What would you do w/AK here? K64r is also a great flop to bet at b/c its as unlikely to hit the other hands as it is to hit mine. I don't really have a range of his cold calling hands b/c well, he's likely to have a wide range. I think he cold calls w/a lot of Ax, Kx, Qx Jx and PP type hands.

C/Cing the turn was the debate I was having when I made this post. I was afraid of letting my opponent draw very cheaply b/c he could def have Ax, Qx, various gutters and flush draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most agro 40/20 guys who cc'ed pf will call if they hit a K and raise otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]
gee i cant think of a way to exploit this!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:54 PM

i think i'd check the turn.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:39 AM

why not just c/c the turn, allowing him to bluff or value bet a worse pair if behind, and not get 3 bets from you if he has a king or set?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:20 PM

I bet the turn b/c a lot of these guys peel w/Ax on the flop and might even call down w/a mid pp like 77, 88 or even 55. His hand range also has to include a small number of 6x hands that he might just try to get to showdown with.

Another possibility, that I'm sure you've all see is to watch a guy like that peel w/a bd strait or flush draw. I really didn't want to give a freebe there either.

When he called the flop, I felt he didn't have a K b/c he'd raise if he had one. I thouht the J pulled me ahead of a lot of his range. The turn play is pretty much the reason I posted this hand b/c the flop and river are standard.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet the turn b/c a lot of these guys peel w/Ax on the flop and might even call down w/a mid pp like 77, 88 or even 55. His hand range also has to include a small number of 6x hands that he might just try to get to showdown with.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you take his c/r to mean then? Is this ever a b/f or does your pair mean you will now showdown?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On top of that checking makes me look way to predictable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I get this. How does an isolated turn check make you predictable? Never checking the turn makes you unpredictable? Or are you concerned with looking predictable, and, if so, why?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you take his c/r to mean then? Is this ever a b/f or does your pair mean you will now showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villan had position on me so he never checkraised me. His raise could mean a bunch of things from "I slowplayed a set" to "I have a J and want a free showdown" or even "I now have a flush draw and I'm gonna semibluff you". When he raised I really wasn't sure I where I was in that hand but I did think there was a chance my J was good
Old 03-20-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On top of that checking makes me look way to predictable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I get this. How does an isolated turn check make you predictable? Never checking the turn makes you unpredictable? Or are you concerned with looking predictable, and, if so, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not so much the isolated check that makes me look predictable, its this check in conjunction with how I've been playing the rest of my hands. I really don't want him to think that when I bet the flop and check the turn I don't have top pair. If he thinks that, he will fold a lot more turns correctly and bet a lot more turns when I check even when he has complete air. On top of that, he will also start calling my flop bet more often b/c he feels he can take the pot away from me on the turn.