Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Calling down w/middle pair

Villain here is fairly aggro (40/20) and I haven't seen him do much to get totally outta line.

I open w/JdTd UTG, Villain in CO calls as down BB

Flop K64r

I bet villain calls BB folds

Turn Jc putting 2 clubs on the board.

I bet villain raises, I call. Villain range could be Kx, Jx and semibluffing a flush draw so I'm not totally convinced I'm behind when he raises the turn.

River Kh

I c/c.

Standard?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Calling down w/middle pair

What is he cold calling with preflop? Does he peel the flop super light? After he calls preflop, I assume he will usually raise the flop. I often c/f flop against these guys here. I don't like the turn b/c. If I can't b/f this turn, I'd much rather c/c (If I'm worried he could be semibluff/bluff raising too often to fold to a raise, he'll usually bet when checked to).
Old 03-19-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is he cold calling with preflop? Does he peel the flop super light? After he calls preflop, I assume he will usually raise the flop. I often c/f flop against these guys here. I don't like the turn b/c. If I can't b/f this turn, I'd much rather c/c (If I'm worried he could be semibluff/bluff raising too often to fold to a raise, he'll usually bet when checked to).

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking that flop is a mistake b/c I take it down UI often enough to make it +EV. On top of that checking makes me look way to predictable. What would you do w/AK here? K64r is also a great flop to bet at b/c its as unlikely to hit the other hands as it is to hit mine. I don't really have a range of his cold calling hands b/c well, he's likely to have a wide range. I think he cold calls w/a lot of Ax, Kx, Qx Jx and PP type hands.

C/Cing the turn was the debate I was having when I made this post. I was afraid of letting my opponent draw very cheaply b/c he could def have Ax, Qx, various gutters and flush draws.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 03-19-2007, 12:13 PM

This line is fine but why is betting the turn better than check/calling the turn?

Does he have clubs? Most of these guys raise the flop with clubs, no? Does he ever take a free card here?

I'm asking, not telling.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:36 PM

I think its standard and i think we have to bet turn because we have fold equity plus the pair, the problem is if we get raised, and i dont think we can fold at this point. Call through looks standard, well played hand. If we dont bet the turn, we let clubs, crud pairs, and other draws push us out with a bet, and that range is far larger than the KJ, K6 Kx hands that we are scared of here...
Old 03-19-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Does he have clubs? Most of these guys raise the flop with clubs, no? Does he ever take a free card here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop was rainbow; second club appeared on turn.

Guy.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:40 PM

"we have to bet turn because we have fold equity plus the pair, the problem is if we get raised, and i dont think we can fold at this point"

He is never folding a better hand, correct? So I would say this is fold equity we really don't want. I think this is actually an argument for check/calling the turn.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking that flop is a mistake b/c I take it down UI often enough to make it +EV. On top of that checking makes me look way to predictable. What would you do w/AK here? K64r is also a great flop to bet at b/c its as unlikely to hit the other hands as it is to hit mine. I don't really have a range of his cold calling hands b/c well, he's likely to have a wide range. I think he cold calls w/a lot of Ax, Kx, Qx Jx and PP type hands.

C/Cing the turn was the debate I was having when I made this post. I was afraid of letting my opponent draw very cheaply b/c he could def have Ax, Qx, various gutters and flush draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most agro 40/20 guys who cc'ed pf will call if they hit a K and raise otherwise. I've basically never seen them fold. If you turn the K into an A, you have a shot at taking this down UI, but otherwise I think I'm with admiral.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:39 PM

"What is he cold calling with preflop? "

he's 40/20. so alot. and he's peeling with alot too. c/fing this flop is laughable.