Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2006, 02:00 PM

Default 1 hand and couple of quickies

Game is commerce 9/18

First the quickies

1) KJs in LP after a few limpers is a raise evertime right? Even more so when the button is tight and willing to fold most often

2) Q9s in CO after 4 limpers, easy limp right?

Here's the hand

I'm sitting in late MP or early LP. 1 bad limper and asian maniac raises. He just sat down and came from a PL game. He's raised the last 3 hands in a row and has shown down some very questionable holdings. I look down and see ATo and 3bet him hoping to get it HU or 3 way. Button another loose player calls 3 cold, sb and BB both call, limper calls maniac 4 bets, I call as does the rest of the field.

Flop 257 2 spades, I have no spades. Checked to maniac who bet, I call, rest of table calls.

My decision her was between calling and raising, I felt a raise would do me no good since the pot is so big that I won't get it HU against the maniac.

Turn 4 spades Checked to me, I check Button checks

River Tc sb leads, maniac calls, I think for a while and call button calls.

How'd I do?
Old 07-01-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Re: 1 hand and couple of quickies

1. yeah

2. yeah

weird hand but I think I'd have played it the same. it's 6 to the flop for 4 bets, right? can't really fold getting like 26 to 1 even though your ace outs are possibly dirty and the possible [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] draw.

maniac's river call doesn't mean much to me b/c I really doubt he checks the turn w/ a pair so overcalling feels right.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Re: 1 hand and couple of quickies

The only exception I can think of to raising KJs every time would be if there was a huge maniac left to act who was almost certain to raise. In this case I would limp/raise.

For Q9s, I certainly wouldn't fold it. I would probably raise it if all the limpers were loose/passive because a) a raise will buy the button b) my opponents are all likely to check to me on the flop allowing me to take a free card if I miss, and c) the limpers play such crappy hands that my raise has immdiate positive equity. That said, I would probably call if my opponents weren't all loose/passive.

Preflop: I like 3betting in most cases here. However, if the the players left to act are so loose that there is a very strong likelyhood that you'll get many callers I'd strongly consider folding... especially so if I was 2 to the right of the button. Big offsuit cards don't play so well in multiway pots... that said, in most cases I'm 3betting here.

Flop: Even though the pot is big, I think you have to fold here. The reason is because with all those other players still left to act, the pot could easily get raised behind you. This would force you to put in multiple bets with a hand that likely has 2-5 actual outs.

Turn: I'd also check.

River: I like the call. I wouldn't want to fold top pair/top kicker in a pot this size, but I think the board is too scary for a raise to be profitbale.

Just my opinion...