Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Default 2 similar hands

I'm a limit player starting to play a little bit of NL. I'm still learning a lot of the basics so I'm trying to figure out if this play is good and I was just unlucky or if this is a losing play in the end

Hand 1
Villain is a pretty solid TAG 22/17 over limited sample size
Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $49.25
BB: $49.50
UTG: $95.30
<u>MP: $147.80</u>
<u>ssmallz (CO): $52.55</u>
BTN: $16.00

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> ssmallz is dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $1.75</font>, ssmallz calls $1.75, 3 folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($4.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $3.00</font>, <font color="red">ssmallz raises to $13.25</font>, MP calls $10.25

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($30.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP checks, ssmallz checks

<font color="black">River:</font> ($30.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP checks, ssmallz checks

Pot Size: $30.75 ($1.50 Rake)

Hand 2
Villain is 57/38 but I don't have any particular read on him other than stats
Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $64.50
BB: $20.00
UTG: $32.10
<font color="black">ssmallz (BTN): $49.25</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> ssmallz is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $3.00</font>, ssmallz calls $3.00, 2 folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($6.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $4.00</font>, <font color="red">ssmallz raises to $18.75</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises all-in to $29.10</font>, ssmallz folds
Uncalled bet of $10.35 returned to UTG

Pot Size: $44.25 ($2 Rake)

In both these hands I called a raise pf. In both I made a play at the pot on the flop. I raise b/c his hand range includes AK, AQ, as well as some other hands that I'm behind. I raise hoping to fold out UI overs. Once called I'm fairly sure I'm behind and I don't want any more $$ going into the pot. Should I be making this play less or just raising less when I do it?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: 2 similar hands

I'd just float the flop in hand 1 and see if they fire again on the turn. Normally with 99 i'd rr pf though.

Hand 2 fold preflop, his 6xBB raise (with his short-ish stack yet) completely demolishes your implied odds, I wouldn't even bother
Old 06-06-2007, 02:44 PM

hand 1 is a value raise on the flop in a situation you're ahead but there's a lot of overs you don't want to see, calling is an option too

i may consider betting the river for value vs. his A6 or whatever

hand 2 is v. different from hand 1, villain's range is much more likely to hit the flop and he will be much less scared of any moves you make
Old 06-06-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 2 is v. different from hand 1, villain's range is much more likely to hit the flop and he will be much less scared of any moves you make

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't notice it was 4 handed, but just wondering if I'm off base with folding hand 2 preflop? it seems like a very marginal call to me, especially since villains range is half the deck
Old 06-06-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't notice it was 4 handed, but just wondering if I'm off base with folding hand 2 preflop? it seems like a very marginal call to me, especially since villains range is half the deck

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you can pfrr in hand 2, since you're ahead of a 38% pfr, and my guess is that his calling range is wide, he'll miss a lot of flops, and you'll be able to take it down w/ a cbet

for the same reason you don't have much implied odds, if you smooth call, and you hit, villain will likely have air, and you won't get paid off