Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Folding 1 bet too late

Playing a little live poker w/a few friends from home. One of em is a NL player who I haven't played much limit with. He knows the basics of poker but beyond that I don't know his particular style. From playing w/him he seems to limp in too much and cold call too many raises. He's not terribly loose, just a little looser than he should be. He's also a bit on the passive side. I.E. he knows to raise tptk but may not 3 bet it on the flop. He's the main villain in this hand so theres all the backstory.

The other guy in the hand is a random borgatta player. Didn't have any specific read except for he's not too good

Onto the hand

I open raise KQo after my friend open limps. 2 cold callers behind, bb calls and we take the flop 5 ways for 2 bets a piece.

Flop K97 2 hearts, I have no hearts

I bet 2 cold callers, my friend c/r's, I 3 bet 1 guy cold calls my friend caps. I call

Turn 5

My friend bets out, I call, other guy raises, my friend calls, I fold.

Reads: Not know my friends exact style, his flop c/r could mean a wide variety of hands from a strait draw or flush draw to a set. Once he caps me, I'm fairly sure he's got either 2 pair or a set. On the turn, I called the first bet even though I thought I may be drawing slim b/c "the pot was too big to fold". This is the real question mark in this hand. Should I be folding when my friend leads the turn or to the turn c/r.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Folding 1 bet too late

I would have just called the flop c/r and raised the turn. 3-betting the flop with everyone in just juices up a pot in which your equity isn't humongous. If the turn is safe (non heart, non straight card, non ace) then you can raise with greater equity against most of the hands drawing against you.

Also, with just one pair, your turn raise can be the last $ you put in the pot because if you get 3-bet it's an easy fold.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:45 AM

I was deciding between smooth calling the flop and 3 betting. Since the flop c/r was imediately to right, I figured that if I faced the rest of the field with calling 2 cold it might convince them to fold. The more I think about it however, the more I like calling the flop to pop a safe turn card better.

Let's say I raise the turn, and only the flop c/r calls. What do you do on a bricky river card? Check behind?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Let's say I raise the turn, and only the flop c/r calls. What do you do on a bricky river card? Check behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty easy bet imo.