Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Poker Academy Sit n Go

What would you say would be the real money buyin equivelant of a sit n go on Poker Academy Pro? My guess would be around $22
Old 06-29-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Poker Academy Sit n Go

Not even close, unless they have updated the software since the year ago I tried it.

Back then I could destroy it easier than any real money stakes.

It just doesn't account for CEV decisions, a fact that the developers openly admitted to. Even $6 SNG players have the occasional impulse to change their normal strategy as the bubble gets close.

Or am I missing something? Have they since incorporated ICM calcs? If not, Poker Academy is not the place to be practicing tournament poker.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:27 PM

what would be a good program to practice sitngos then?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 PM

Why not just play SNGs? Is money an issue? are you a -EV player?

Even if so, $1 SNGs should do fine. The cost of poker academy pro is a huge roll for that game
Old 06-30-2007, 12:02 AM

$1 SNGs definitely.

Also check PokerXFactor and videos that people have posted here of their tournaments. If you watch a vid on slowish speed you can play along and decide what you're going to do before the player you're watching has made their decision.

Focus on bet/raise sizing as much as check/bet/raise/fold, and on understanding what they're doing and why - especially if it differs from what you would have done. Pay attention to the opponents and note any situations where your action depends on your opponents more than your cards.

Take a note of the level of the SNG you're watching - optimal play will vary by buy-in. Try to identify the situations which might play differently against a table full of weaker players. The main difference is that you can't usually bluff a fish, but you can usually get them to pay way over the odds for a draw or have them call down with a weak hand. They'll often let you draw for cheap too.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:02 AM

Invest that money into CardRunners or some other poker coaching site online and start making some real cash instead of jerking around with some wannabe poker program. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:54 PM

Anybody got any experience of using PAPro to run simulations of SNG's?

I've got the impression (largely from what I read here and some experience at the tables)that SNG play moves on a lot quicker than the coding for AI 'bots'does.

Given the huge amount of data that it's possible to mine these days it shouldn't be that difficult to write bots that accurately simulate the playing styles of most LOW stakes SNG players.

I'm half minded to give this a crack but don't have PAPro. Is the AI customisable enough to be useful in this sort of project?

Genetix
Old 07-05-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody got any experience of using PAPro to run simulations of SNG's?

I've got the impression (largely from what I read here and some experience at the tables)that SNG play moves on a lot quicker than the coding for AI 'bots'does.

Given the huge amount of data that it's possible to mine these days it shouldn't be that difficult to write bots that accurately simulate the playing styles of most LOW stakes SNG players.

I'm half minded to give this a crack but don't have PAPro. Is the AI customisable enough to be useful in this sort of project?

[/ QUOTE ]
You'll be far better off just writing your own classes to work with as PA doesn't even have any API calls to reset the stacks so any simulation will require you manually resetting stacks all the time and for some totally unknown reason you have to be sitting at the table with your own stack set to zero for them to be able to play. That's ignoring the fact that the bots SNG play doesn't resemble anything I've ever seen on any site yet (ie: they're play like HUGE fish...).

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]