Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 09:20 AM

Default 25£/50£ overpair facing river overbet

3-handed. villian is bengt sonnert, he is loose and very agressive and probably views me as decent lag i have been 3-betting him a lot with various results. i have seen him overbetting the river once in this session, he had top pair good kicker and was doing it for value, i looked him up with top pair top kicker. he has 8700£ i cover.

button folds villian raises to 200 (std for him) i reraise to 700 with KhKd
flop: Qc4s7h he check-calls 1000£
turn: 8h he checks - i check (?)
river 9d he bets 4000£ - i?

i know this depends a lot on the flow of the game but some general thoughts? at this point i havent played much against him maybe 200 hands total and nothing crazy happened so far.

/e oh and if possible i want responses from ppl who either have played with bengt before or are at least high stakes shorthanded players themselfes, i dont need advice from some random 0.10/0.20 player thanks!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Re: 25£/50£ overpair facing river overbet

Factors:

1. What kind of range he has when calling you out of position. I mean, if he views you as a good player he probably will have a tight enough range in this spot, even if you are quite LAG.

Assuming he is not calling your pf reraise with trash, the only hands you have to worry about are a set, and maybe 56, 78 or Q9 though I would consider these pretty unlikely.

In fact, I would say a lot of the time here when you call you´re going to be shown 88 or 99, as I think these fit the way the hand played out much better than any other holdings.

Air is unlikely here. I mean, what is he doing, floating you out of position hoping you will check the turn and then picking up the pot on the river? (which assumes you´re not slowing down on the turn with this precise purpose in mind, which tricky players will often do).

I would imagine given his range, calling wouldn´t be so bad as there are very few hands that have you beat the way this hand played out. However, I would personally attach a large % chance that he does indeed have one of the few hands that have you beat and fold.

note: im a high-stakes holdem player, though not as high stakes as you ($20-40 nl the game i have played most)
Old 03-18-2007, 10:40 AM

If he's good but not really good his riverbet probably means the opposite of what he had last time. Which frankly confuses me because his last river bet was for value but he was wrong.I like the turn check and I think the river is a fold but it's very close.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's good but not really good his riverbet

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd say Bengt Sonnert is pretty decent
Old 03-18-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's good but not really good his riverbet probably means the opposite of what he had last time. Which frankly confuses me because his last river bet was for value but he was wrong.I like the turn check and I think the river is a fold but it's very close.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-18-2007, 01:46 PM

You put a question mark by the turn. Have you bet the turn after betting the flop in a 3bet pot before? As a bluff? Has anyone seen this? It might be a good time to bet the turn here IF he thinks you are capable of double barreling, otherwise your turn check is good.

Is he capable of playing QK/AQ like this? In your hands with him, has he c/r any (ie could he have been going for a turn c/r, or a river c/r)? I think your answer to some of these questions kind of make your decision.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:02 PM

It seems like the more that you have been 3 betting pre-flop the less likely it is that he puts you on a real hand.
What is his percentage of preflop call/fold to your 3 bets. What is his 3-bet call range?
Old 03-18-2007, 03:17 PM

Sick... once you check the turn, I don't think he can put you on KK much of the time...

I think this is a sometimes call and sometimes fold.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:18 PM

well as i said.. at the time this hand happened i hadent played much with him at all. 3-bet him probably 5 or 6 times picked up the pot preflop half of the time and other half he called gave up to cont bet once and c/r me all-in 1 or 2 times where i folded (air).

KQ,AQ is def. in his range, he likes to make thin value bets but that would be a little too thin i think. 77,88,99 were my main concerns and he would def. play those pairs this way
a suited connector like 56 or 78 is possible too since we are deepstacked but a little bit more unlikely since he is oop.

i didnt bet turn because i wanted to control the pot and not necessarly stack off almost 200bb deep after the only obvious draw hit, maybe bet/fold the turn? but that kinda sucks because hes def. capable of c/r-ing all-in after the draw hit knowing i will have a very hard time calling with top-pair/overpair.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:33 PM

hrm, ive played with bengt before in a big hand back in the day where i had J8 on a J 8 6 board and i checkraised flop and him and he smoothecalls with set of 6 only to checkraise me on turn to put it all in. Id say 80 percent of the time u see 44/77 here