Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A player is cheated if his opponent ever calls the clock on him when the opponent has the nuts
Yes 0 0%
No 47 100.00%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2007, 07:58 AM

Default Re: The Official NHL Playoffs Thread

Front Row...Club Seats...On faceoff dot in visitors shoot twice end....Ill be there in 12hours to watch the Sabres kick it off!!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And I will bump my point that the Predators are in the best position to win now - this was their year to go to for it. In the salary cap era, you cannot sit on your hands like Brian Burke is out in Anaheim - you MUST make moves when your team is a contender, or risk ending a winning cycle without the Stanley Cup. The Senators are in danger of this as well, and the Sabres too, though to a lesser extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do me a favor, get a clue before you open your mouth. We have/had several key players out with injury. We made the move for Zubrus, which has been huge. Max and Connelly are both back now. Connelly is/was a gamble that had to be taken. He was argueably our best offensive player last year in the playoffs before going out with injury. Not securing a roster spot for him would've been suicide. We are running 4 amazing lines in the playoffs and I challenge any team to match us in the depth dept.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was talking about salary cap problems. Ottawa lost Chara because of no cap space, and Buffalo is going to lose at least one of Drury / Briere this summer, if not both, because of the cap. Buffalo will not be as good next year as they are now. They have to win this year.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And I will bump my point that the Predators are in the best position to win now - this was their year to go to for it. In the salary cap era, you cannot sit on your hands like Brian Burke is out in Anaheim - you MUST make moves when your team is a contender, or risk ending a winning cycle without the Stanley Cup. The Senators are in danger of this as well, and the Sabres too, though to a lesser extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do me a favor, get a clue before you open your mouth. We have/had several key players out with injury. We made the move for Zubrus, which has been huge. Max and Connelly are both back now. Connelly is/was a gamble that had to be taken. He was argueably our best offensive player last year in the playoffs before going out with injury. Not securing a roster spot for him would've been suicide. We are running 4 amazing lines in the playoffs and I challenge any team to match us in the depth dept.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was talking about salary cap problems. Ottawa lost Chara because of no cap space, and Buffalo is going to lose at least one of Drury / Briere this summer, if not both, because of the cap. Buffalo will not be as good next year as they are now. They have to win this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the youth we were able to see due to the injuries and the system Ruff runs...we will be contenders for years to come....I understand the entire Drury/Briere thing...but we easily have people in the wings that can step right in...and we actually will have enought to sign both if they choose to, but will have to lose Kotalik/Zubris to do it and signing 2 30 yr olds to 5-7 yr deals is not good for the cap etc....

....with the emergemce of Vanek, essentially being a Chris Drury clone (defense aside, but he is improving greatly) and the difference in salaries we can sign him for Ill assume keeping Briere over Drury will be inevitable...

...we will lose Teppo, but again with the emergence of Paetsch its a big salary reduction

So essentially
Drury goes
Teppo goes
Resign Briere, Vanek, Kotalik, Zubris...everyone else is under contract, we will still have a plethera of talent with Connolly, Stafford, Max, Briere, Kotalik, Hecht, Roy, Pominville, Campbell, Miller, Vanek, Mair, Paille, Gaustad...etc etc...

..So while this may be the best chance right now to win, as the young guys gain the experience I believe we will always be in the mix for the next 3-5 years
Old 04-12-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And I will bump my point that the Predators are in the best position to win now - this was
their year to go to for it. In the salary cap era, you cannot sit on your hands like Brian Burke is out in Anaheim - you MUST make moves when your team is a contender, or risk ending a winning cycle without the Stanley Cup. The Senators are in danger of this as well, and the Sabres too, though to a lesser extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the youth we were able to see due to the injuries and the system Ruff runs...we will be contenders for years to come....I understand the entire Drury/Briere thing...but we easily have people in the wings that can step right in...and we actually will have enought to sign both if they choose to, but will have to lose Kotalik/Zubris to do it and signing 2 30 yr olds to 5-7 yr deals is not good for the cap etc....

....with the emergemce of Vanek, essentially being a Chris Drury clone (defense aside, but he is improving greatly) and the difference in salaries we can sign him for Ill assume keeping Briere over Drury will be inevitable...

...we will lose Teppo, but again with the emergence of Paetsch its a big salary reduction

So essentially
Drury goes
Teppo goes
Resign Briere, Vanek, Kotalik, Zubris...everyone else is under contract, we will still have a plethera of talent with Connolly, Stafford, Max, Briere, Kotalik, Hecht, Roy, Pominville, Campbell, Miller, Vanek, Mair, Paille, Gaustad...etc etc...

..So while this may be the best chance right now to win, as the young guys gain the experience I believe we will always be in the mix for the next 3-5 years

[/ QUOTE ]

Kotalik signed a 3 year deal last year GG.

The Sabres UFA of importance are Danny, Drury and Zubris. Teppo is gone and frees up 2.6ish million for next year.

Vanek is a RFA and will need a hefty raise after this season. The local Sabres beat writer really thinks Vanek is going to receive an offer sheet from at least one team that the Sabres will have to match to retain him. Just speculation but he usually knows his stuff.

I would expect Briere to walk and Drury to be retained and maybe Zubris. I dont think Darcy lets Vanek walk either.

Larry Quinn has said with the cap going up they could sign both Briere and Drury but the problems they had this year with being so tight to the cap and no flexibility to make roster moves they have said they will not cut it that close.

If they win the cup, I think both Drury and Briere walk FWIW
Old 04-12-2007, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And I will bump my point that the Predators are in the best position to win now - this was
their year to go to for it. In the salary cap era, you cannot sit on your hands like Brian Burke is out in Anaheim - you MUST make moves when your team is a contender, or risk ending a winning cycle without the Stanley Cup. The Senators are in danger of this as well, and the Sabres too, though to a lesser extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So essentially
Drury goes
Teppo goes

[/ QUOTE ]

Kotalik signed a 3 year deal last year GG.

The Sabres UFA of importance are Danny, Drury and Zubris. Teppo is gone and frees up 2.6ish million for next year.

Vanek is a RFA and will need a hefty raise after this season. The local Sabres beat writer really thinks Vanek is going to receive an offer sheet from at least one team that the Sabres will have to match to retain him. Just speculation but he usually knows his stuff.

I would expect Briere to walk and Drury to be retained and maybe Zubris. I dont think Darcy lets Vanek walk either.

Larry Quinn has said with the cap going up they could sign both Briere and Drury but the problems they had this year with being so tight to the cap and no flexibility to make roster moves they have said they will not cut it that close.

If they win the cup, I think both Drury and Briere walk FWIW

[/ QUOTE ]

In regards to Kotalik, I had heard in the same story that in order to sign both Briere/Drury we would lose Kotalik...I assumed it meant he was a FA at end of year...

...Vanek will get a hefty raise of course, and from what I have heard the Flyers are planning on making a big run at both him and Briere...obviously they would give up a draft pick to do it, but a 40+ goal scorer vs a unknown draft pick is an easy decision...

...I still think Briere is more important than Drury, for his overall playmaking, I understand the locker room presence/leadership Drury brings but I still lean towards Drury...

..And barring Zubris making a crazy run in the playoffs we should be able to get him for a decent amount.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:55 AM

Zubrus will command 3 years + / 3.5 million a year + - Drury 4 + years/4.5 million + and Briere 4+years at 6 million at least.

The Sabres don't have to win now - but they will not be as good next year, much like the Senators of this season. While the Senators can still win it all with the team they've got this year, they were a better team on paper last year without a doubt.

And Tim Connolly is a concussion waiting to happen - so much for that.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And Tim Connolly is a concussion waiting to happen - so much for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - shoulda dumped him and kept Dumont...

...how good he was doing in the playoffs last year should not have earned Connolly the contract he got when they were not even sure if he was gonna be back...happy with most of uppermanagements decision except that one..

...I also heard a rumor the reason they might keep Drury is that Jason Blake stated he really wants to play with Drury, and may sign under market value to do so...so they may sign Drury knowing they have a solid player willing to sign at less? anyone else heard this..
Old 04-12-2007, 11:29 AM

i sincerely doubt it. they cannot afford both of those players and give the huge raise to vanek that he deserves.

not unless connolly is on IR for another full year

anyway this is the NHL playoff thread, not the NHL free agency thread
Old 04-12-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i sincerely doubt it. they cannot afford both of those players and give the huge raise to vanek that he deserves.

not unless connolly is on IR for another full year

anyway this is the NHL playoff thread, not the NHL free agency thread

[/ QUOTE ]

...agreed sorry for hijack...

Should be eating a huge beef on weck in 7 Hours, and nestiling into Game 1 seats in just over 8.

...my horrible predicitons for the sabres series

Game 1 4 to 1 win

Game 2 5 to 2 win

Game 3 4 to 3 OT loss

Game 4 5 to 3 win

Game 5 6 to 2 win
Old 04-12-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

...Vanek will get a hefty raise of course, and from what I have heard the Flyers are planning on making a big run at both him and Briere...obviously they would give up a draft pick to do it, but a 40+ goal scorer vs a unknown draft pick is an easy decision...

...I still think Briere is more important than Drury, for his overall playmaking, I understand the locker room presence/leadership Drury brings but I still lean towards Drury...

..And barring Zubris making a crazy run in the playoffs we should be able to get him for a decent amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Letting Vanek walk would be such a massive mistake- it just wont happen. Vanek is too young, and improving too much. I think he's more a Heatley type of player then Drury, so many of his goals come from around the net, and he's so so creative.

I let Briere walk and keep Drury. Of any Sabre that i would consider to be the most like Drury - i'd say its Stafford. If the Sabres were an average team in terms of goal scoring, then i think you keep Briere, let Drury walk- but its not like the Sabres will miss Briere that as much becuase the attack is so balanced. I mean, how diferent would the regular season scoring have been if Connolly centered the 1st line instead of Briere?

I dont expect Zubrus to resign. I think Vanek will get ~ 3.5-4 million a year. Drury 4.5-5 and it sounds like Briere is gonna command 6+.

And if keeping Drury means theres a chance the Sabres get Jason Blake (can you name a source on this?) at a discount, yea, i think that adds a bit to keeping Drury

Stealthcow-