Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 05:19 AM

Default JTs -- I fall back on an old full-ring line

My read on BB is sketchy, but my first impression of him is that he's decent. His stats are 32/24/4.8 after 74 hands, but he's also at something like 37 BB/100 over those 74 hands, and I don't think he's as aggressive as the numbers suggest.

The weakest starting hand he's shown down is KTs.

Anyway, after I just completed preflop, I found myself in an awkward spot and fell back on an old Small Stakes Forum line. I suspect I picked the wrong spot and maybe the wrong opponent for it, though.

I mostly play 5/10 full, and when I dabble in 3/6 6-max, I try to remind myself that people don't value bet as aggressively there and also aren't as aggro in blind-steal situations. I think I overcompensate for this sometimes, though, when I'm trying to interpret their raises.

Anyway, here's the hand:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

I'm getting a little over 4:1 on a calldown and could improve. Also, it's possible Villain won't bet the river (although, if he doesn't, I'll probably wish he had).

How bad is the turn fold?
Old 01-13-2006, 05:26 AM

Default Re: JTs -- I fall back on an old full-ring line

There are very few spots where I will fold top pair heads up in a 6-max game. This is not one of them.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are very few spots where I will fold top pair heads up in a 6-max game. This is not one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this fold felt wrong to me almost immediately after I made it.

In general, in my limited 3/6 6-max experience, I've been running into some three-street bluffs (when I just call down and don't let Villain know I have something) and also a few bluff-raises when I'm the aggressor. It seems like postflop 3-bets mean more than they do at 5/10 full though (at the 3/6 6-max tables I've been at, anyway). It also seems like the aggression, when it occurs, is more erratic overall (in a bad way, I think, but I haven't entirely figured out how to exploit it yet).

In any case, the Villain in this particular hand seemed pretty good, so I probably shouldn't try to fit him in some 3/6 6-max mold. I don't like my turn play much at all.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It also seems like the aggression, when it occurs, is more erratic overall (in a bad way, I think, but I haven't entirely figured out how to exploit it yet).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to see erratic aggression, go watch a 10/20 6m game for a while. The LAGs at those games will raise, donk, check-raise, and even three-bet with air a frightening amount. You need to make really good reads on those guys, or they will actually start beating you. They play the exact same way with bottom and middle pair - which coincidentally is somewhat correct according to game theory.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:54 AM

Call this down -- at least consider capping flop or c/raising or donking turn. Fold never.

Ninth Path
Old 01-13-2006, 05:58 AM

Yeah, you should call this down. Many times BB will check behind on the river or bet something like TT.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How bad is the turn fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to think that bb has you beat. But you have odds to see a river. I wouldn't mind a river fold, though, I do think that pocket nines and tens would play it the same. It depends on what he thought about you.

I don't lke the preflop play
Old 01-13-2006, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It also seems like the aggression, when it occurs, is more erratic overall (in a bad way, I think, but I haven't entirely figured out how to exploit it yet).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to see erratic aggression, go watch a 10/20 6m game for a while. The LAGs at those games will raise, donk, check-raise, and even three-bet with air a frightening amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, no crap about 10/20. When I'm hitting cards, I crush them as they'll spew chips. When I'm on draws or caugh with hard to play post flop hands like 77, I get killed. I'm break even at that level, but I'm fortunate to be that as it's clear I don't have the skills yet to handle these types of games.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:25 PM

Nick,

Are all or most of your 74 hands on villain all from this session. If so, it sounds like he has been getting some cards and running over the table pretty well. All the more reason to at least call him down with top pair here. A LAGish ir TAGish player who is running well is going to either overplay some hands or simply try to run othersoff their hands using the image they have been lucky enough to establish with their goodrun of cards.

Even if that is not the case, I am not folding here against someone with these numbers.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:30 PM

Nick,

I just want to say that I'm glad you're posting in SSSH.

edit: i'm not gay