Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Guy crashes into my truck, his fault, gives false insurance info

Interesting. I never thought that someone would manufacture fake insurance docs especially since the license plates can be traced to a house.

Logical answer: $250 out the window. Big deal.

Tilt answer: Call the police, sue, and if that doesn't work work terrorize him.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 PM

WTF?
Just find the same cop. Even if he didn't file a report he'll remember the incident.

Why would you even bother trying to call this guy? He swindled you already and is probably hoping you will drop it now....but you have no idea what kind of person he is.
You establishd that he lives there. Great. Don't try to handle any more of it.

Find the cop who was involved. Talk to him and say, "Hey, remember me. You advised that we exchange insurance info and I agreed. Well, it turns out that his info is bogus."

etc etc etc.

This really isn't that hard. So what that the cop didn't file a report. He still has a memory doesn't he?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:16 PM

" OK I see this EVERYDAY in my line of work... It is HIS word against your sons. The police will not do anything now. "

I'm not sure what line of work you are in but I think you are wrong. He showed the police officer false or forged documents. Find the same officer who attended the accident - I would wager that he will be very interested in paying the guy a visit. I imagine he could face some serious charges.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 PM

Why do you ask for advice, then when good advice is given you blow it off? Like MicroBob said, get a hold of the officer that was at the accident.

I don't know in which state you live, but in Oregon you have 72 hours to file a report with the DMV, and that includes using the other driver's information. Why didn't you file an accident report with the DMV?

As for my feelings toward this situation, your last statement and the apathy you are showing toward this situation is leading me to believe that you deserve anything negative that comes out of this accident. It's too bad your kid is going to learn how to handle these situations from a bad source.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 PM

you should really just find the same cop like everyone is saying and fill him in. also, please post updates.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should really just find the same cop like everyone is saying and fill him in. also, please post updates.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll definitely be contacting the policeman. I tried getting ahold of him today and they said he was off duty. He'll remember everything - he even said at the time if this goes to court, that he would testify for my son.

So I don't think getting a police report filed after the fact will be a problem, but at the same time, I doubt it'll help any either. I've already contacted my insurance company and reported everything, so we're covered there. But seriously, looks like the a-hole will get away with it, unless some sort of revenge takes place down the road... but that won't help me anyway. And I don't like the idea of calling him and threatening to sue, that might invite some sort of reprisals my way when he realizes what I intend to do.

Damn lazy cop not wanting to write a report at the scene, talked me out of it, my bad, live n learn. The $250 itself isn't so bad, but the fact that it will be on my insurance record somewhere will I'm sure raise my rates someday, especially if we have another incident or two to file again in the near future. If all I had to do was pay the $250 and nothing bad would happen, I wouldn't care that much. As it stands now, I'm still quite pissed about the whole thing.

L8r.. BB
Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 PM

Contact the police and have them arrest him for fraud or whatever the crime is. Then sue him for the damages to the truck.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:14 PM

molotov cocktail
Old 11-06-2007, 01:57 AM

big bend, he isnt going to pay much. your 250 you can get by calling him or leaving a message that you will pursure felony criminal charges for false identification.
this guy probably is already on probation and will pay the 250 to get you to shut up, or he will kill you. probably pay.

but really this is the same as if he hit you son and told him he didnt have insurance.
you would be in the same situation.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I never thought that someone would manufacture fake insurance docs especially since the license plates can be traced to a house.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is actually quite common. If you go to traffic court you'll see at least 1-2 a week.

It is a pretty serious offence. In my jurisdiction the fine is about $12k (although usually the crown will ask for less) plus another $5600 for driving without insurance. I'm not sure if it is as serious in the States but it would be something that is fairly easy to find out.

I'd definitely file a police report. I wouldn't bother suing for the $250. The time and effort plus the probability of the guy being judgement proof makes it a losing proposition.