Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Do you think you could drink a keg in a week?

kegerator?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is easily do-able. A keg in a week works out to about 18 pints a day. If you are awake for 16 hours per day (allowing 8 hours of sleep/night) then you are downing 1.12 beers per hour. Given that your metabolism will remove about 1 pint per hour you end the day with about two beers in your system which is easily worked out while you sleep. Drink plenty of water, eat food, and you're good.

[/ QUOTE ]
As Klompy pointed out, don't get your units mixed up. I was under the impression that men's livers could process about 12oz/hour, women's around 9oz. Pretty sure I learned that in a state-mandated alcohol awareness course years ago, so if I'm off I'm either not remembering correctly or they were skewing the figures low. There's an appreciable difference between 12 and 16oz.

[ QUOTE ]
kegerator?

[/ QUOTE ]
kegerator
Old 10-31-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kegerator?

[/ QUOTE ]

How bad did your life suck that you didn't know what a kegerator was and how awesome is your life now that you know what one is?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:54 PM

RDH,

I thought it was 12oz too, and I learned it in a similar class. I think it's largely dependent on the size of the man, and the amount of enzymes the person has to break it down in their liver.

I'd love it if a doctor from OOT could explain the breakdown of alcohol in the liver with respect to a frequent drinker, and a casual one. Can a damaged liver from an alcoholic still be breaking down alcohol faster then a healthy person?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Given that your metabolism will remove about 1 pint per hour you end the day with about two beers in your system which is easily worked out while you sleep. Drink plenty of water, eat food, and you're good.

[/ QUOTE ]
As Klompy pointed out, don't get your units mixed up. I was under the impression that men's livers could process about 12oz/hour, women's around 9oz. Pretty sure I learned that in a state-mandated alcohol awareness course years ago, so if I'm off I'm either not remembering correctly or they were skewing the figures low. There's an appreciable difference between 12 and 16oz.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, that's my mistake. At the end of a 16 hour day you would have about 5.5 pints worth in your system. So, technically you would wake up in the morning after 8 hours of sleep at 0. Of course this is with all things being equal. I still say this can be done over the course of seven days, however, precautions need to be taken into account for dehydration, and any other complications.

As with any other beer drinking competition, there needs to be a "no puking" rule.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:21 PM

Two buddies of mine and I drank a keg in 48 hours a few years ago. With proper motivation, I could probably do it solo in a week. It would suck enough that "proper" would be pretty significant.

The best part of that keg experience was that my wife was out of state at the time. She found out about the keg when I posted pictures of the keg on a forum. She called me and said, "I swear I just saw a picture on the net of a keg in our bathtub. How many people are in our house?" Upon confirmation that it was indeed our bathtub and that there were only two other people involved, the only thing she was upset about was that she wasn't here to help drink all the beer.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RDH,

I thought it was 12oz too, and I learned it in a similar class. I think it's largely dependent on the size of the man, and the amount of enzymes the person has to break it down in their liver.

I'd love it if a doctor from OOT could explain the breakdown of alcohol in the liver with respect to a frequent drinker, and a casual one. Can a damaged liver from an alcoholic still be breaking down alcohol faster then a healthy person?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've learned that yes an alcoholic's liver gets much better at breaking down alcohol than a normal person's because it becomes accustomed trying to clear alcohol from the blood. Basically it shifts it's focus from cleaning any poison from the blood stream to cleaning alcohol well. Also like a muscle through use it gets bigger.

Obviously eventually there is a point where your liver ceases functioning and you die but a normal alcoholic who isn't in a hospital is much better than you at clearing alcohol.

Interesting side note, you are supposed to be able to feel the your liver by hooking your fingers under your right ribs and taking a deep breath. It should feel somewhat soft kind of like play doh. If it's harder that's a bad sign or a badge of honor. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I keep reading the title of this thread and it makes me cringe thinking about how bad the hangover, or more likely withdrawal after this would be. It may be a week of drinking, but the real pain is the 2-3 days after.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to disagree....Ever been on spring break?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kegerator?

[/ QUOTE ]

How bad did your life suck that you didn't know what a kegerator was and how awesome is your life now that you know what one is?

ucsb 4 years. eat it

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad dick face, i didnt read his last sentence. I figured him explaing all that was not nesc and everyone participating in this would assume a kegerator would have to be used.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Member has Access Rights?
Uncheck to ban member.
Ban status: User is going to be unbanned in 6 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 58 seconds.
Duration of the ban in days:
(i.e. 2 for 2 days, 0.5 for 12 hours, empty for unlimited) - - -
Reason for ban: 'do you think you could drink a keg in a week?' ... tell you what, go try and get back to me

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does anyone hate NT?