Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Brag: randomly staked a guy and won $96,600

I also used to play there a lot when I was learning/before I discovered 2+2. I really dislike it now since it's a bit of a dingy shithole. Some of the players/staff are very rude as well. That said there are also some really nice players there who I feel somewhat sorry for over this ruling thing. Given my skill level and the skill level of most players there, as well as the size of the games, it would be pretty tough to lose $100k there. That said, I would not play in the £2/5 game. I am primarily a tournament player and would play in any tournament up to £1k that they run there.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
posts like this make me want to stake people, until i read the rest of the thread.

wtg hojo and rupert

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also used to play there a lot when I was learning/before I discovered 2+2. I really dislike it now since it's a bit of a dingy shithole. Some of the players/staff are very rude as well. That said there are also some really nice players there who I feel somewhat sorry for over this ruling thing. Given my skill level and the skill level of most players there, as well as the size of the games, it would be pretty tough to lose $100k there. That said, I would not play in the £2/5 game. I am primarily a tournament player and would play in any tournament up to £1k that they run there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there's just no reason for me to play there. If I've got £300 to play with (and impossible though it may sound, right now I do) there's absolutely zero value in sitting down at the PLO game there, when I could find much easier games with it online. If I went there now it'd be as a social thing, but I think the period of my life of going there all the time is well and truly over. The couple of true friends I made there I still see outside, and that's that.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PLEASE MAKE HOJO'S TITLE:

MY WORD IS WORTH $100K

[/ QUOTE ]

and vnh to OP and Hojo
Old 10-17-2007, 07:04 PM

Actually, I find the gutshot games softer than online, just very very slow. Gutshot is good on average in terms of live standard though but that doesn't say much.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:05 PM

Jimm didn't exactly make a great post, but jumping all over him for saying he wouldn't ship 100k, when a high percentage of broke degens would do the same is ridiculous, no?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:09 PM

ive only read the first page, but this is really awesome. congrats to both of you
Old 10-17-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shocking Jim, you always seemed like a stand-up guy?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, just speculating. $100k is a lot. I would feel that it was kind of sick that just lending me $55 had earned someone $100k. Of course, I wouldn't have been able to play without it, and wouldn't have got $40k for myself, but I'd forget about that and just get mad about losing most of my win.

I think I wouldn't agree to a 70/30 split in the first place, if I knew I'd be upset if I won and had to give most of it away. From OP's point of view, 90%+ of the people he stakes probably won't cash, so you can see why he wants a higher % split, especially when he's making deals with strangers. But for the player who's won, you can see why he'd be unhappy.

You know, actually, here's what I'd do if, unlikely though it is, I'd won the $140k. I'd ask OP for his phone number and call him up. If he lived anywhere nearby, I'd arrange to meet. And I'd propose a new deal. I'd say sure, we agreed 70/30, but really neither you nor I had any expectation that I'd win. And, frankly, $100k is too much for me to give you just for loaning me $55, when I did all the hard work. I'm prepared to give you $50,000. You can like it or lump it.

It is like Jamie Gold all over again!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your life expectancy would drastically decrease if you did this...
Old 10-17-2007, 07:15 PM

It's a fair guess that Rupert also aimed him once he got deep (no you don't have to respond to that obv.)..so the sense of obligation may well go deeper than the bare stake money

props all round btw..good to hear..
Old 10-17-2007, 07:20 PM

yeah btw after catching up:

if i had somehow got in to that spot with a random internet stranger no way in hell i ship 100k.... otoh i would have the integrity to know that and not take any such deal in the first place. not sure what that makes me.... but i certainly have a load of respect for hojo for shipping it