Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Better: Jean WITH eyeshadow OR WITHOUT eyeshadow?
WITH 21 47.73%
WITHOUT 23 52.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Speeding Cameras

I am not sure if everyone is familiar with these cameras but essentially (at least where I live) the police park vans on the sidewalk and take pictures of speeders through a camera in the back window.

I was driving yesterday and spotted two of these vans posted up within a five mile radius. For some reason I feel this is a extreme violation of rights. We as tax payers pay for the roads and I feel that cops should not be able ticket citizens by posting up cameras in unsuspecting areas. I was wondering why as tax payers we do not get to Vote and decide whether or not we want cameras enforcing speed?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Speeding Cameras

You're saying that the vans contain human officers who take pictures using a camera? Suggesting that that's a violation of your rights is pretty ridiculous.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason I feel this is a extreme violation of rights. We as tax payers pay for the roads and I feel that cops should not be able ticket citizens by posting up cameras in unsuspecting areas. I was wondering why as tax payers we do not get to Vote and decide whether or not we want cameras enforcing speed?

[/ QUOTE ]
What specific right are they violating? Your right to speed?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:52 AM

My right to not be monitored and ticketed through a camera. I also think that the public should be able to vote on whether or not these cameras should be on the roads.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My right to not be monitored and ticketed through a camera. I also think that the public should be able to vote on whether or not these cameras should be on the roads.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have the right to "not be monitored and ticketed through a camera". It's basically a robocop. Why is it different if a machine does it instead of a person? It's not invading your home, you're out in the public streets. Also, voters have struck down these camera schemes in the past.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:05 AM

Going w/ the topic thought this was interesting. http://www.i-go-cars.com/autos/legis...dar-detectors/
Old 03-01-2007, 03:11 AM

Here in San Diego at certain intersections we have cameras. They will only take a picture if you run a red light. It is pretty obvious that they are there, as they are in big white boxes that look like a camera belongs in them, and in some places they have signs up saying photo enforcement is in effect. They even block out the passenger side of the car when a picture is taken.

It also sounds like these cars are marked as police vehicles. Do you find cameras on police cars that are used when making a traffic stop a violation of your rights as well?

As a taxpayer I should have the right to feel safe on the road
Old 03-01-2007, 03:15 AM

Interesting that the driver signs no promise to appear.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:20 AM

Some may find it a distraction on the road. I think it is often safer to be driving 5-10 mph faster than the speed limit. Also the they are just white Astro vans that they park on the sidewalk in random spots on different days.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting that the driver signs no promise to appear.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, I have heard that if you just throw away the ticket the Police will have to eventually send an officer to your house to make you sign.