Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 02:57 AM

Default So many virus scanners, which one?

I currently use Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Windows Firewall and a Router.

I would like to add a virus scanner for active scans rather than use the online home scan that PC Trend Micro does.

Can someone direct me to which is a solid virus scanner?
I have heard Norton and PC Trend Micro are good. Are they and which one is better? Or are there better ones?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Re: So many virus scanners, which one?

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard Norton and PC Trend Micro are good

[/ QUOTE ]

You heard wrong....at least as far as Norton. I can't comment on PC Trend Micro, but I've cleaned *MANY* Norton machines that scanned "clean" only to have Kaspersky or Nod32 find the other 1057 viruses. Personally, I'm a Kaspersky fan (when set to update every hour using the extended internet definitions) but it is fairly CPU-intensive. Nod32 is much less system-intensive and still pretty good.....far better than Norton, anyway.

Norton Corporate is all right...but the home versions are lacking in definition updates and historically has been ummmmmmm "disableable" by malware. Kaspersky will give you (IMO) the best protection, but at a higher CPU cost than your Norton. Nod32 will give you better protection at a lower CPU cost than Norton....but not quite as good of protection as Kaspersky....again....just my opinion.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:38 PM

I've been using the free version of AVG for a couple years and have had no problems at all. I do visit some iffy/unmentionable sites. I've found AVG to have almost no impact on computer speed.

Norton is notorious for bogging down computers. It is also nearly impossible to remove. After uninstalling it you still find parts of it scattered all over the machine.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:27 PM

Simply put Norton sucks. Sorry I can't stand it. Heck try to uninstall it....there is 30 minutes of your life down the tubes. I have had instances where if you aren't smart enough to go in and disable it's startup services or boot into Safe Mode it was impossible to uninstall. That's malware, not an antivirus client. Just my 2 cents and a rant.lol

AVG is great. I've been using it for about 8 years and it does it's job quietly in the background, updates once a day and is not a resource hog. I've also had some experience with Kaspersky and Avast and both seemed like nice software. I have just never been a fan of McAfee or Norton.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:53 PM

Another vote for NOD32 and Kaspersky. They are both excellent products.

AVG Free has done a very good job on some machines I didn't want to pay for nod32 licenses.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:01 AM

Another nod for AVG (free). I been using it for a while now and I have it installed on all of my computers.