Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 11-30-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Bubble & 3 handed play ($335)

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t600 with t50 antes (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t1785)
Button (t9995)
Hero (t1290)
BB (t430)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">CO folds</font>, Button calls t600, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

Flop: (t1700) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)

Turn: (t1700) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t1700) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)

I was told by a strong player at the table (BTN) that I should call because I have BB covered, however- my argument was that I can be blown off any hand post-flop because there is a side pot and my hand isn't strong enough even to handle that heat even if I flop middle pair. I was stunned by his comment and I think this is an easy fold, thoughts?

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t800 with t50 antes (3 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Button (t12010)
Hero (t740)
BB (t750)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Button calls t800, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

Flop: (t2150) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)

Turn: (t2150) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t2150) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)

A very interesting spot because if I have the BB covered this becomes an easy allin. However, 33 plays pretty horribly vs 2 random hands and if either of them beats me I'm out. EZ fold obv?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Bubble & 3 handed play ($335)

Hand 1 is an easy fold. If you limp, you're asking the button to shove anything on any flop.

I dunno about hand 2. After you have &lt;1bb, it's hard to make a mistake. Winning the hand gives you a lock for 2nd. If you fold you still have 2 hands to hopefully let the BB shorty go broke...
Old 11-30-2007, 10:02 AM

Second one can be fairly easy analyzed - if you fold two random hands play against each other and you have 50% chance for second, if you call you will have 33% for second, so fold is better.Although second place in case you call would endup with 2100 chips, instead of 400 chips in first case it doesn't add up enough for that 17% difference.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 AM

I don't think the first one's that trivial a fold. If you fold and BB wins, you're the new shorty and will have to win at least one showdown to avoid bubbling. If you call and can check it down, you're not grossly worse off (in the cases where BB wins), and you increase the chance that BB busts this hand. The possibility that button will shove and try to get you to fold is there, but given how likely 3rd is if he hits the flop and does this, you can probably just call anyway to protect yourself from the times he tries to push you off and you might have hit on the turn/river to eliminate BB.

All that said 52o is really terrible, and I'm not sure the implicit collusion advantages are worth it in this case. I wouldn't fold much here, though.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:26 AM

Why show the postflop action? Just delete that stuff, it's distracting.

I call hand 1 for 300 as long as I think button won't get silly postflop (IE - bet w/o a hand that beats mine). Which it sounds like he wouldn't.

Hand 2 is an easy fold.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:34 AM

1. call then check-fold . I think that button will not shove if he haven't any pair or draw , but if he shove with air it will be unethical , i never do it for instance .
2. easy fold .
Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 AM

1. I fold. Crap hand and, as said, the button can take you off the hand. Also, if he's good, why is he limping here?

2. I guess fold since winning doesn't really get us anywhere.