Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Tight games still profitable?

The players/flop in a crypto lobby at $2/$4 were 15%,18%,22%,28%
Bonus plus rakeback is good for cryptos but the games aren't.
Some good players mixed with weak tight players mostly not wanting to lose their bonus. The games are so tight that a lot of pots don't even reach $5 to get a 1/4 point.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Tight games still profitable?

Adapt, turn from TAG to LAG and start running over people w/ aggression, once people start loosening up, the game will get good and you can TAG up and get paid off, I do this all the time.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Tight games still profitable?

[ QUOTE ]
Adapt, turn from TAG to LAG and start running over people w/ aggression, once people start loosening up, the game will get good and you can TAG up and get paid off, I do this all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true make them play how you want them to. Until the do rape them.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Tight games still profitable? (bit long)

Sparkman, I play precisely these 2/4 Crypto games. They are definitely profitable, but you must adjust. Best investment I ever made was Stox's new book, which is a great way to take your game to the next level after you have mastered the principles of SSHE. I dont agree with the other posters LAG approach, I think you will get crushed with that, but a TAG approach with ever wide stealing ranges closer to the button will make you hard to read . Stox book is excellent for understanding adjusting your hand requirements. Interestingly enough, your VPIP wont change much from the standard SSHE approach, but you will be folding more in EP and playing more closer to the button. Most importantly you will be first in with a raise a lot.

Now all said, I think your weak tight analysis is accurate, and that style of player will represent the majority at the table. I have some significant PT stats on these opponents and by and large they are breaking even or slightly losing, meaning they are making money with RB and bonuses.

The way in my view to get the money here (disclaimer, I have no claim to being an expert) is

- Always raise when first in the pot. (most of the tight passives will do this too)

- C- bet a lot more, you will miss the flop quite often but these guys will often fold at this point if they havn't paired the flop. Especially important if an Ace flops.

- If you get called on the turn you will probably be up against a hand,at least medium pair

- As usual agression from a Tight Passive means a big hand, respect what this means,

- flop call in position and semi bluff check raise on the turn is a very powerful weapon against tight passives, your chances of getting a fold with better hands than yours is high.

- There is usually at least one LAG at the table, you will find out quickly who they are if you play a lot there, check call a lot with marginal hands ,bottom pair will often win on the right board texture.

- Continue to value bet relentlessly,the good news is your variance will be lower overall against guys who "respect your raises".

There is lot more I could say, and this is my opinion only, my game still has a long way to go but overall I am after my first 10k hands averaging 1.8 BB/100 against these opponents so I feel I have something useful to contribute.

best wishes

Bruce
Old 10-16-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Tight games still profitable? (bit long)

[ QUOTE ]
Sparkman, I play precisely these 2/4 Crypto games. They are definitely profitable, but you must adjust. Best investment I ever made was Stox's new book, which is a great way to take your game to the next level after you have mastered the principles of SSHE. I dont agree with the other posters LAG approach, I think you will get crushed with that, but a TAG approach with ever wide stealing ranges closer to the button will make you hard to read . Stox book is excellent for understanding adjusting your hand requirements. Interestingly enough, your VPIP wont change much from the standard SSHE approach, but you will be folding more in EP and playing more closer to the button. Most importantly you will be first in with a raise a lot.

Now all said, I think your weak tight analysis is accurate, and that style of player will represent the majority at the table. I have some significant PT stats on these opponents and by and large they are breaking even or slightly losing, meaning they are making money with RB and bonuses.

The way in my view to get the money here (disclaimer, I have no claim to being an expert) is

- Always raise when first in the pot. (most of the tight passives will do this too)

- C- bet a lot more, you will miss the flop quite often but these guys will often fold at this point if they havn't paired the flop. Especially important if an Ace flops.

- If you get called on the turn you will probably be up against a hand,at least medium pair

- As usual agression from a Tight Passive means a big hand, respect what this means,

- flop call in position and semi bluff check raise on the turn is a very powerful weapon against tight passives, your chances of getting a fold with better hands than yours is high.

- There is usually at least one LAG at the table, you will find out quickly who they are if you play a lot there, check call a lot with marginal hands ,bottom pair will often win on the right board texture.

- Continue to value bet relentlessly,the good news is your variance will be lower overall against guys who "respect your raises".

There is lot more I could say, and this is my opinion only, my game still has a long way to go but overall I am after my first 10k hands averaging 1.8 BB/100 against these opponents so I feel I have something useful to contribute.

best wishes

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks much for your input. Your assessment of the games pretty much is in line with my impression of them. I've tried playing the 6max games of crypto but the rake just seems too be really a big factor in their tight games.
I'm considering giving the FR games a shot because I have an easier time putting opponents on a hand which leads to more optimal play. I have the Stox book as well and have made a few starting hand adjustments do to the rake affect.
It is correct to play a few less hands when the rake is a bigger factor. Some of the marginal hands that are break even in the bigger games and are useful for metagame considerations are losers with the bigger rake.