Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-26-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: My name is Indiana and I am a poker addict

Indiana,

You pwn. Just remember that and continue forward in your decisionmaking, taking it one step at a time.

That will be $500 please.

Barry
Old 11-26-2007, 05:22 PM

Well, it would be foolish to let that 30% of your income threaten your 70% of income. Because the last thing you want is that 30% to be all of your income.

Take a break. Poker will always be there. 24/7.

I know what you mean about getting used to the money. We always seem to be spend close to what we have. And having less means feeling poor which is what nobody wants.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:59 PM

Thanks guys, I am officially on a poker break of sorts. I only play lower stakes like $55 HU matches and such right now. I am very very hungry to jump back into high stakes and compete, but for the next week or two i will force myself to be a poker lightweight. Honestly, poker is all i have in life and i know that's sad. I pretty much get bored to tears with everything else in my life, including fancy things and sexy time....

Indy
Old 11-26-2007, 08:38 PM

i can understand poker addicts but i ll never get how poker can be the only reason u live for seriously u need your head to be checked poker is just a game i see so many depressed pros with all the money they have it s just [censored] pathetic dont take it so serious
Old 11-27-2007, 09:42 AM

i can understand OP

i'm addict to :S
Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 AM

Yeah I do understand OP too. Could say I am addicted also. However I just got to know the game so it's not exactly an income at the moment.. but I hope to make a (side)income with poker in the future.

I think you did good taking a 'break', if your income is that much higher than your pokerincome itd be insane to risk that amongst other things..
Old 11-27-2007, 02:46 PM

Im curious, but for those for would consider themselves addicted, why is this? Is it primarily a question of easy money, of having to beat every level or something else? I love poker and i think about it probably way too much but have never got to the properly addicted stage.

I play I guess a semi-pro level to get myself through my Phd, but I have come to see it as a job. It is of course still better than a real job, but I really wish I had a passion that could get me through big sessions and then want to come back for more. In a sense, I wish I was more addicted, though my problem is probably one of concentration rather than love for the game. For those who at 'addiction' levels, can you put your finger on what drives you to want to play all the time?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 PM

It's hard to tell sweeng. I have been winning poker player for a bit more than 2 years. Poker has been my only income for 2 years. I feel semi-addicted. It's not like I feel I have to play. I don't neglect my diuties or friends. But I am putting things that do not have deadlines aside to play poker. It's just easier to play poker than to do something that requires hard work.

I will describe my situation with studies a bit clearer, to maybe hear opinion from some others, how to deal with my negligence.

I am in my 4th year out of 5 year studies after which I will get Master of Science degree (or sth like that, its not exactly same as US system, I live in Poland). I was offered to do PhD at my technical university (in IT), after I do the masters. But to do this, I will have to commit myself to this PhD thing. I will have to spend time to reaserch, program and read a lot about my PhD disciple (it is a PhD about combinatorial game thory btw - which has nothing to do with economic game theory and not much to do with poker).

And as I don't have strict deadlines (still one and half year till *starting* the PhD process) I do nothing about it. But if I keep doing nothing the opportunity to start this PhD will disappear. It's not like I don't want to study. I want. I want to do this PhD. It's just that it is something that will require hard work. And poker is here - easier, more entertaining, giving income (huge income as for Poland) and allowing you to dream (about beating some live televised events, being the balla and so on...)
Old 11-28-2007, 08:18 AM

Wow, Indy, I didn't know you were addicted. Thought you were more like one of those guys for whom playing poker is just a job (I thought that because you have a family and a real job).

Well, I am addicted too. I am in a second year of 4 year university and probably the main reason why I didn't quit university is that I don't want to dissapoint my parents. They really supported me a lot so far so I would feel bad. Otherwise, it is like 60 40 in favor of quitting university (still not so high though). Reasons I don't quit are my parents and my ego, because, let's be honest, every idiot can make university (if he commits enough time - I don't mean to insult anyone).

I think the problem of being addicted and putting everything else but poker aside is pretty common on this forum. You see you are not alone with problem.