Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 11-25-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: ($109) Going broke w/ AQ in an unraised pot

I don't think that limping is that bad, but I think that you need to fold this on the turn. Although there is no way that this guy can put you on AQ here, I think that there arent many hands that he is going broke with here that you have beat, especially since you have the Qc. I think that you will rarely see KQ/QJ here r/r the flop after bet/call on flop by 2 people. So basically the worst thing you are looking at here is JTcc, which you are not THAT far ahead of. I think that this is a set way too often to go broke with TPTK
Old 11-25-2007, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's a time and place for everything in poker, except limping AQo UTG full-ring with these stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]
level?

[/ QUOTE ]

No (although I'm not sure why I was being so bumptious). I mean, how can it be good in level one against monkeys, with no reads? What's the point?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeh, I am an advocate of sometimes limping, but this is a really bad spot to limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would be a good spot to limp with AQ if this isn't one?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeh, I am an advocate of sometimes limping, but this is a really bad spot to limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would be a good spot to limp with AQ if this isn't one?

[/ QUOTE ]
I said there are reasonable spots to limp, not to limp AQ. You might limp AQ in early position with 17-40xBB. The idea would be to limpreraise, but you could fold depending on the action, and there might also be situations to limp/call. However, in general AQ is just not a good hand to open limp.

With reasonably deep money, raising AQo UTG works fairly well. QQ+ and AK usually reraise. So you generally are not dominated if you are called.

You don't get a lot of value raising AQ in early position , because when you hit, it is what people are expecting.

With the limp, what do you do if you are raised? All the alternatives are not very good. In a limped pot, you have a hand that makes ace high or TPTK/TPGK, which is not very profitable and tricky to play.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't get a lot of value raising AQ in early position , because when you hit, it is what people are expecting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling you guys won't like this but is folding it UTG an option? I think in an MTT raising it is probably best just because, like you say, AK usually reraises (in a sng it doesn't so AQ has always been a problem to play for me).

It just seems as though when you hit you can't get action except for hands that beat you UNLESS there are uberdonks on the table. I should have definitely just raised (or mucked) it. How about folding it on a decent table and raising it on a bad table? Thoughts?

Ryan
Old 11-25-2007, 12:04 PM

With AJ or AT, you could raise, limp, or fold. Just raise AQ, but you don't get huge EV.

Limping AQ may be OK if you don't go broke with top pair. Problem is that someone limping behind in position with a suited connector or small pair has an advantage. Also, you don't know what to do to a raise. If you raise UTG, you have an easy fold to a reraise, and you are dominated the majority of the time.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:23 PM

raising pre-flop needs to be made... I would probably re-raised the flop to put him on a decision if you are feeling like risking your chips against a flush draw. Against the loose player, I would re-raise push the flop because if a card that doesn't seem to help him on the turn comes you are going to be pushing the turn like you did. Basically raise pre-flop is the only thing i see wrong with the hand other than that i don't think you played it bad.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:55 PM

raise pre, then feel ok going broke... as played fold flop or turn. I dont mind flop call since he's probably checking behind his draws on the turn.