Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes

Old 11-23-2007, 08:59 AM

Default $10/$20 Plays itself or I donked it up?

Hi Guys,
Dynamic of the table is that I have been quite active and seen to be LAG. Opponent has been known to try and slow me down.

I sensed I was in trouble on flop as he check called flop pretty quick and lead turn quick too baiting me to push. I thought this was where my LAG image was about to pay dividends though. Either way, could I play it any better / worse?

Should the turn raise major alarm bells? If we KNOW he has a flush on the turn should we fold at this stage or call and fold missed river or just push now as I did?

NL $10/$20 Texas Hold'em

Seat 1 is the button
Total number of active players : 4
Seat 1: RossG ( $1,138 )
Seat 3: rayer ( $1,965 )
Seat 4: xxTHETILTxx ( $2,533 )
Seat 6: rosser ( $2,172 )
rayer posts small blind [$10]
xxTHETILTxx posts big blind [$20]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to RossG [ Kd, Qs ]
rosser calls [$20]
RossG raises to [$90]
rayer folds
xxTHETILTxx folds
rosser calls [$70]
** Dealing Flop ** [ Jd, Qd, Td ]
rosser checks
RossG bets [$80]
rosser calls [$80]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Qh ]
rosser bets [$200]
RossG goes all-in
RossG raises to [$968]
rosser calls [$768]
** Dealing River ** [ 9s ]
** Showdown **
rosser shows [ 5d, 4d ] a Flush
RossG mucks [ Kd, Qs ]
** Hand Conclusion **
rosser wins $2,304 from main pot with a Flush
************ Game 196343349 ends ************
Old 11-23-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: $10/$20 Plays itself or I donked it up?

I think unless you know your opponent to be making razor thin value bets or bluffs, you sort of have to fold this turn. In general, against an unknown you cant be looking to get too deep in the hand on a three to the flush board when you have none of that suit. Also, keep in mind he could have QJ. So I think you should really be folding this turn. You don't know where you stand in the hand and you have no diamonds.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:09 PM

You have 50BB, trips and a straight flush draw. Folding would be hilariously bad.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:10 PM

I have str8 flush draw with the K of diamonds! As well as full house possibilities.

If your opponent turned his hand face up what would you do in my position? (on the turn).
Old 11-23-2007, 01:11 PM

after the turn bet you have to check fold as hes not folding if he leads the turn when the board pairs like that (given the image) and you have the correct odds. you're calling 200 into 570 (35.1%) and you have 17 outs (38%) so even if he doesnt stack off its correct to call.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:15 PM

I have 18 outs no? (7 diamonds, 2 queens, 3 K's, 3 J's 3 T's) if I presume he has the flush already.

Now my dilema is how do I get paid maximum if I hit river diamond or fill up?

Knowing he is calling if I push turn does that still make it correct tp push to maximise EV? I would essentially be betting $968 to win $1308. or can I consider my $200 call already in the pot and therefore be betting $768 to win $1508 thus making it the correct play getting 2-1 pretty much?
Old 11-23-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have str8 flush draw with the K of diamonds! As well as full house possibilities.

If your opponent turned his hand face up what would you do in my position? (on the turn).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry. I'm still a little hungover from the Thanksgiving festivities and didn't realize you have the King of diamonds. That changes things. The thing here is, its sort of hard to put this guy on a range, but assuming he has a flush, its 60/40 in his favor on the turn. If he has QJ you are crushed. If he has AdQc lets say, he has you crushed. The only hand you really beat is like Ad9c. So even given your diamond, I don't think you really have that much equity against the range of hands hes representing to call here. Also, even if you do hit your flush, lets say, you might not want to stick it all on on this paired board and he might not really put much money in if he has a baby flush type hand.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:23 PM

I suppose as I have no fold equity on turn it is a long term break even / losing proposition to push turn under those circumstances.

How can I put myself in a position to be on the correct end of EV after the flop? Or can I?
Old 11-23-2007, 01:26 PM

Good post, ty. I guess I can't really beat his range in this spot. That sucks tho as my hand looks pretty good! Sick fold and show option ;-)
Old 11-23-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have 50BB, trips and a straight flush draw. Folding would be hilariously bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, he's also on 4th street here, facing resistance on a card that is scary to villain as well on a very coordinated straight/flush board, possibly not even drawing to the best flush, possibly without the best trips, or even behind to a full house already. I don't really see why sticking it in would be so great here/why folding be so bad. Can you please explain Xorbie?