Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Coffee Addicts Thread

I've always just used one of the small Krups grinders. No complaints. Looks like you can get one of their burr grinders for about $50 or so.

Also, for anyone in Annapolis who's looking for a great coffee spot check out Cafe Pronto. They roast their own beans.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:57 PM

2p2'r "Terp" bought me a Delonghi, its one of the most thoughtful gifts I've received. No longer do I drink frozen coffee [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 AM

Bought this a couple months ago and I love it.

It's so easy and fast I'm having an espresso or two almost every morning. I had a manual espresso maker before and used it only few times a month.

The milk foamer could be a little bit better, but it's no biggie for me as I'm having 20+ espressos for every cappuccino I make.

So far my favourite beans are a local blend of extra dark roast. It has an amazingly smooth taste.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:37 PM

Semi related question, I recently looked into the caffeine content of different drinks/coffees because I want to start limiting how much caffeine I drink per day, and the results were pretty supriseing. The results I found were that an 8 oz Red Bull has 80mg of caffeine, a 16oz Monster drink has 16mg, but a grande (16oz) hot coffee at starbucks (my standard drink) has 330mg???? My intuition was pretty certain that canned energy drinks like red bull/monster/etc would be a lot higher in caffeine than regular coffee but it looks like that is incorrect. What gives?

My regular day is to drink to 2 grande coffees from the starbucks next to my house, one in the morning before class and then one in the afternoon/eveningish when I sit down to do work. When I made the decision to stop drinking the canned drinks thinking they were less healthy to my current 2 coffees a day plan, I thought I would be limiting my caffeine intake. It looks like that is very wrong. How does brewed coffee have that much more caffeine in it than stuff like Red Bull? I really wasn't expecting it to be twice as powerful.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Semi related question, I recently looked into the caffeine content of different drinks/coffees because I want to start limiting how much caffeine I drink per day, and the results were pretty supriseing. The results I found were that an 8 oz Red Bull has 80mg of caffeine, a 16oz Monster drink has 16mg, but a grande (16oz) hot coffee at starbucks (my standard drink) has 330mg???? My intuition was pretty certain that canned energy drinks like red bull/monster/etc would be a lot higher in caffeine than regular coffee but it looks like that is incorrect. What gives?

My regular day is to drink to 2 grande coffees from the starbucks next to my house, one in the morning before class and then one in the afternoon/eveningish when I sit down to do work. When I made the decision to stop drinking the canned drinks thinking they were less healthy to my current 2 coffees a day plan, I thought I would be limiting my caffeine intake. It looks like that is very wrong. How does brewed coffee have that much more caffeine in it than stuff like Red Bull? I really wasn't expecting it to be twice as powerful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but these energy drinks contain more than one energy source. Guarana, taurine, probably others that i don't know off the top of my head are in these energy drinks. I guess the combined effects of these ingredients are what make the drinks work as well as coffee.

I still find coffee works better than these energy drinks.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friend strongly recommends the Ariete "Macinacaffe" Burr Grinder - but like to hear any other suggestions <$200 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guide to Grinders

Sub-$100 electric grinders are generally garbage.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't had any caffeine for almost a month now. First few days were really rough, but I'm good now. Not sure if I'll go back or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been caffeine-"free" for several years. i like being on a more even keel.

i still drink a fair amount of decaf tea, and very rarely decaf coffee. both have some modest amount of caffeine in them. i enjoy the flavor of black coffee, but i find it difficult to locally find really dark stuff that's also decaf. i'm sure it's available online, but i don't care enough to special order it.

that reminds me though, i should get around to ordering some blenheim hot ginger ale.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My intuition was pretty certain that canned energy drinks like red bull/monster/etc would be a lot higher in caffeine than regular coffee but it looks like that is incorrect. What gives?

[/ QUOTE ]
The caffeine regulations for canned drinks are quite strict. I'm pretty sure most of the energy drinks have the maximum amount of caffeine allowed.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:14 PM

for me the best coffee is the cup in front of me. i aint searching all over for a specialty cup. but i like strong black coffee. the weak stuff in places out ruins it for most.

i even use those one cup coffee bags from folgers you put in a cup of water and microwave for a few minutes. makes an okay cup quickly with no clean up to do.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:35 PM

There is much better coffee to be found than SBUX, but it does not suck. The company flourished more due to excellent business practices (i.e. Howard Schultz) rather than coffee quality, even though it did pretty much create the niche for "gourmet" coffee in America.

I like quite a few of Starbucks roasts. Sunani (Arabian Mocha) and the popular Caffe Verona are a couple of my favorites.