Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 11-28-2007, 06:58 PM

Default What\'s the REAL reason(s) so many \"top\" players are busto?

Anyone reading this has seen countless threads from "[well known pro] busto?" to one of D Skansky's dozens of recent threads, having to to with how many big name pros are either close to broke or in debt. It's common knowledge at this point that a considerably larger # of big name pros are worth much less than one might first guess, especially considering the stakes they play on a seemingly regular basis.

For the most part (Jamie Gold excluded), these are not stupid people. They haven't built the fame, fortune and success they now hold by practicing piss poor bankroll management or tilting off half their roll in a night etc., so what is it? What causes SO many of these elite players to lose SO much of their net worth or even fall into debt?

IMO, Any player who has the $ to play at the stakes where the general public would know them as a big name poker player, and goes broke, is a degenerate with a high stakes gambling problem. HSNL obviously requires a significantly larger BR (let alone HSPLO) and I have a feeling the EGO that keeps so many players from being able to move down when they should is what separates the real professionals from the rest, more than any other factor. Now obviously this range of 'busto or worse' players contains some of the best strategical poker minds in the world. What I'm hoping for from this thread is some insight from HSNL players who know first hand what it is that causes players like B Green, D Brunson, C Reese, and even HS online players like SBrugby etc. to sustain a HS livestyle (B roll AND B acct) while what COULD be their peers, seem get caught up in a downward spiral.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: What\'s the REAL reason(s) so many \"top\" players are busto?

pit games, over priced strippers, feeling like they have to impress people by throwing money around on useless things, loaning losing players money, weren't that good to begin with

instead of investing in other things

100k could buy one you one or two nights of buying out the bar and being "that guy"

or invested correctly could provide you a decent sum of money for the future

a lot of the newer guys rather would be the cool guy throwing money around than smart about it

think it's a side effect of not really grinding. a lot of the older players had a slow grind to the top, now with so much money out there you can get rich quick and as a result you tend to not respect it as much IMO
Old 11-28-2007, 07:01 PM

overconfidence and tilt
Old 11-28-2007, 07:08 PM

What about Nikki Jedlicka specifically? I think a number of 2p2ers have a lot of respect for his game, and I KNOW Phil Ivey does. From what I've read it was a $1.1m downswing (rumored to be since he signed with FTP) that busted his online BR and has him saying he isn't planning on redepositing anytime soon. Was he just playing too high the whole time (during his $2m+ upswing AND $1m downswing? What is it with so many HS players (DB comes to mind) living the high life one day, and seemingly crippled the next?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:21 PM

how about; poker is nearly impossible to beat long term? its gambling, brosephs. stu unger was a savant, he could beat the game. phil ivey, chip reese, etc, im awed by their ability and their stamina and their discipline but i guarantee you that they go broke just as fast as anyone else if the rivers dont go there way enough times.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 PM

The reason is they are neither top nor pro.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 PM

Robert Varkonyi
Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how about; poker is nearly impossible to beat long term? its gambling, brosephs. stu unger was a savant, he could beat the game. phil ivey, chip reese, etc, im awed by their ability and their stamina and their discipline but i guarantee you that they go broke just as fast as anyone else if the rivers dont go there way enough times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, one of the more clueless posts I've read in quite awhile.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about Nikki Jedlicka specifically? I think a number of 2p2ers have a lot of respect for his game, and I KNOW Phil Ivey does. From what I've read it was a $1.1m downswing (rumored to be since he signed with FTP) that busted his online BR and has him saying he isn't planning on redepositing anytime soon. Was he just playing too high the whole time (during his $2m+ upswing AND $1m downswing? What is it with so many HS players (DB comes to mind) living the high life one day, and seemingly crippled the next?

[/ QUOTE ]

~27 BI downsizing will happen when you play the best and multi table in variance happy Omaha.