Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 04:30 PM

Default 10NL: Blind Defense

villain is 30/20/2 and has jacked my blinds a few times on this table. one time i called him preflop then ended up with a c/f which wanted to make me puke.

next orbit we get this and i'm making a stand to basically shut him down or at least get him to slow down and layoff my blinds.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 8 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

MP1: $5.20
MP2: $2
CO: $9.35
BTN: $8.20
Hero (SB): $12.75
BB: $3.35
UTG: $5.05
UTG+1: $1.75

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
5 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.35</font>, Hero calls $0.30, BB folds

<font color="blue">easy call for my purposes. thought about raising back but didn't want to get reraised and end up folding to him. i'm assuming some of you would have popped him? </font>

Flop: ($0.80) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.95</font>, BTN calls $0.95

<font color="blue">good flop for me. top pair w/kicker, bdfd solid cbet. </font>

Turn: ($2.70) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.15</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $6.90 and is All-In</font>, Hero calls $4.75

<font color="blue">three spades are out and i again cbet the turn since i took control of the hand earlier. villain tanks for almost his full allotted time - then shoves. in reality i instacalled him w/o thinking too much about it. i had decided to call any bet while he was tanking before his shove. </font>

River: ($16.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $16.50 Pot ($1.65 Rake)

your thoughts???

EN
Old 10-29-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: 10NL: Blind Defense

Don't worry about blind defense at NL10. No, seriously, don't worry about it.

If you ARE going to worry about it, 3bet him preflop to $1.40 and pot whatever flop and that should make him stop.

As played, don't overbet pot on flop, it looks like you're frustrated. You have to fold to the turn shove when he does it.

But really in the first place, you can't be serious about being upset someone is picking on your dimes. 3bet back a few times and he'll stop.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry about blind defense at NL10. No, seriously, don't worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

wasn't worried about it, just getting tired of him raising them.

so what you're saying is, if i understand correctly, not to worry about blind defense at 10NL. would it be better to start at say NL100 or even NL400? and possibly not worry about pushing edges at NL10 too?

i was at NL25 and lost a chunk of the bankroll multi-tabling so that's why i'm back at 10. should i worry about blind defense at 25? or wait until i get my 'roll up higher before i "worry" about it?

EN
Old 10-29-2007, 04:59 PM

blinds are relative to your stakes and bankroll so could some1 explain why blind defence is more of a concern at 100nl than 10nl?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
blinds are relative to your stakes and bankroll so could some1 explain why blind defence is more of a concern at 100nl than 10nl?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blind stealing isn't a very high concern for the collective 10NL player-base so defending them needn't be.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:18 PM

Hey, its ten cents, and not a tourney dont worry about protecting them. Instead , look for opportunities to take the loose raises he s poutting in. 3 bet him preflop, but if you call check raise his but. Hand looks okay.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:51 PM

When I recently played 25NL grinding my way back up after a couple cashouts, I had a blind steal of 40% -- it was almost always nearly double that of everyone at the table. People like me are the exception. And I certainly started to put a lid on it if I was 3bet and saw a lead PSB or got c/r on the flop.

This can put you in marginal situations though which you may not be able to properly play -- so it's simplest and very low variance not to be playing back a lot and to simply do blind stealing of your own to make your orbits "free".
Old 10-29-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I recently played 25NL grinding my way back up after a couple cashouts, I had a blind steal of 40% -- it was almost always nearly double that of everyone at the table. People like me are the exception. And I certainly started to put a lid on it if I was 3bet and saw a lead PSB or got c/r on the flop.

This can put you in marginal situations though which you may not be able to properly play -- so it's simplest and very low variance not to be playing back a lot and to simply do blind stealing of your own to make your orbits "free".

[/ QUOTE ]

40 is good. my current blind steal (NL10/NL25 combined) is 33%. i thrive on blind steals and even when 3bet a few times will continue to steal against them following the blind steals by pokey post.

most of the time they'll move on, if not i play poker with them. which is what i did in the OP.

40 is good... i'd love to be there.

EN
Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 PM

At any level cash that I've played at, blind defense has been fairly low on my priority list. I look to make my nut in position.

In this case, don't call with such a marginal hand OOP. If you are going to play it, 3-bet it. If he comes over the top, let it go. Really, don't call with marginal hands OOP. Would you limp/call in MP with that hand? Probably not. You can call with some pairs and drawing hands, but with weak high card hands you need to raise. Otherwise you end up check/folding, or worse, playing a bad top or second pair hand OOP. That just isn't winning poker.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At any level cash that I've played at, blind defense has been fairly low on my priority list. I look to make my nut in position.

In this case, don't call with such a marginal hand OOP. If you are going to play it, 3-bet it. If he comes over the top, let it go. Really, don't call with marginal hands OOP. Would you limp/call in MP with that hand? Probably not. You can call with some pairs and drawing hands, but with weak high card hands you need to raise. Otherwise you end up check/folding, or worse, playing a bad top or second pair hand OOP. That just isn't winning poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

decent points. in this particular hand the villain was felted.

my opinion on the reply about being "worried" about blind steals stands though. me thinks when someone makes a blanket statement to the effect of one part of the game "not being important" at a certain level is ludicrous. all aspects of the game come into play and where better for one to learn than at the lower levels?

is hand selection less important at NL10, NL25 or NL50? if some of the newer players are afraid, or don't care if their blinds are being swiped by a 35% to 40% blind stealer to their right, how will they stomach 3 betting and playing back at NL100?

at lower limits advice is given over and over to limp in with hands, be speculative and learn to stack'em. at the higher levels if someone comes in weak they are certainly exploitable. the post concerning playin AJo in EP is a prime example.

but to tell people, and allow others to read about "not being worried" because it's only "dimes" is a blatantly ignorant blanket call.

EN