Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 01:44 PM

Default a question about cuba

ok, americans can't visit cuba. why is this so good?
is it fear cuba would get millions from americans (i guess the fear americans would get infected by communistic ideas couldn't stand once they see it) or is it something else?

i believe tourists bring ideas/demands/desires/needs/etc from the other world and when people would realize that it might speed up the process of decay of their system. am i wrong here?

although, their regime would have much more problems and castro would probably allow visits in their resorts only IMO.

i might be wrong, but it seems to me this is good for US administration, somehow good for castro, somehow bad for americans and very bad for cubans.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: a question about cuba

I think the bigger question is why has America been sponsering terrorism against cuba for the last fifty years but yes, free trade with them would be a good start and probably would have defeated communism there already. Communism doesn't need to be feared; it's destined to collapse.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it fear cuba would get millions from americans (i guess the fear americans would get infected by communistic ideas couldn't stand once they see it) or is it something else?

i believe tourists bring ideas/demands/desires/needs/etc from the other world and when people would realize that it might speed up the process of decay of their system. am i wrong here?

although, their regime would have much more problems and castro would probably allow visits in their resorts only IMO.

i might be wrong, but it seems to me this is good for US administration, somehow good for castro, somehow bad for americans and very bad for cubans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically speaking, I don't think it's that we 'can't visit' Cuba, it's that we can not engage in any type of financial transation or assist them financially in any way (crappy paraphrase of the policy). If you showed up with a Cuba stamp on your passport (Cuba will either not stamp your passport or stamp a piece of paper I believe for US passport holders) lots of questions would arise as to how you got to and from the island, and survived on the island, without egaging in any financial exchanges or whatever but I do not believe it is against the law to be there.

I think that's the way it is (in additon to press and other ppl that can get permission to go), or at least was several years ago when I looked into going there.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who claims it is good?
Old 07-21-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who claims it is good?

[/ QUOTE ]

The US government?
Old 07-21-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who claims it is good?

[/ QUOTE ]

The US government?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well sure, but they also claim that invading other countries, lending money and getting the country in the biggest debts ever, is good for the national economy. Oh, and they also claim crushing the genitals of children is good for the country...
Old 07-21-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who claims it is good?

[/ QUOTE ]

The US government?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well sure, but they also claim that invading other countries, lending money and getting the country in the biggest debts ever, is good for the national economy. Oh, and they also claim crushing the genitals of children is good for the country...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to ask..."crushing the genitals of children"? Are you talking about eugenics laws, or something else?
Old 07-21-2007, 07:37 PM

I'm talking about what the current administration has been doing to 'fight the war on terrorism'. They torture 'enemy combatents' and in doing so the they use the tactic of crushing the genitals of the combatents' children.

God Bless America.

PS Oh, and it's been entirely legalized btw. This is open policy. No conspiracy or anything.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:52 PM

The argument for the embargo on Cuba is that keeping business out of Cuba will keep the Castro regime as weak as possible, rather than having him pocket millions of dollars of money that goes in to the country.

I'd imagine that the embargo is not that popular in most of the country, but it is very popular down here in South Florida. The Cuban-American community in South Florida single-handedly keeps the embargo going against Cuba. The reason is that the Cuban-American community has a HUGE influence on electoral results in this country. For example, during the Clinton administration, an American plane full of Cuban exiles was shot down by Cuba over international waters, and America refused to act on it. Also, the Elian Gonzalez custody case was also a huge deal that turned many Cubans against the government. Soon after Federal Agents took custody of Elian Gonzalez; my parents, grandparents, and all of their friends defected from the Democratic party into the Republican party. A huge number of Cuban-Americans that would either vote Democrat, or not vote at all, came out in support of the Republican party. Bush then won the next election because he had 1725 more votes in Florida than Gore. Think about that: because of a group that makes up no more than 4% of the Hispanic population in this country (which I suppose would be around 1% of the total population), Bush was elected.

The strategic importance of Cuban-Americans in South Florida is apparent, after all, they make up a majority of Miami. Not keeping Cuban-Americans happy can lead a candidate to a major defeat in the next election.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:43 PM

citation requested.