Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Re: good books on PLO?

[ QUOTE ]

Rolf's book is currently #26 in Amazon's most-popular poker books list, and Bob C's is #30. I didn't see any others in the top 100, but I only skimmed. Generally I think Ribbo is right. I've contemplated writing a book before, but I don't think it could be profitable enough to be worth my time and effort, especially given the potential to impact the games I play.

[/ QUOTE ]
How many copies do you think Rolf has sold? I tried to find out a while ago, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do it online.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.looneytunescds.com/rel/v2...6&affnr=-2

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...seriously? did you just link to looney tunes, the record store in babylon? wtf! that's my store growing up... (very very small record store, for those of you who didn't grow up near west babylon long island)
Old 08-09-2007, 04:19 AM

all you need to know is try to go all in pre flop with aa and hope for the best!

thats what phil and rolf say and it works!
Old 08-09-2007, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Truth is there is no money to be made from writing a good PLO book, they just don't sell.
So the really good information just doesn't come out, it's better to keep it to yourself and take monies off people.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone wrote a really good omaha book, i am sure it would sell quite well.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it wouldn't. From what Lou Krieger told me a couple years back, all his holdem books outsold his omaha book dramatically, despite the market being saturated with holdem books. Your selling to the punters, not the pros when you write a book, as they are the people who will be buying it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but the key word was 'good'. I havent seen Krieger's omaha book recommended anywhere, i dont think i have even seen or heard of it. Again, it would be interesting to compare Kriegers sales with the market in general. If most authors target the weaker players, that might mean the one or two books aiming at the intermediate and above may be just as profitable as there is less competition for sales! And sometimes, writers have other motives for writing the book other than for the money.

secondly, how many years ago was that? I would guess there are more people interested in playing Omaha now, than there were a few years ago....I think as the NL holdem players mature in experience, some of them will branch out into other poker games (especially for online games where the big pots help clear bonuses faster, or boost rakeback!)....and for some players PLO is the second game of choice for example it is easier on some websites to get PLO games than 7cs, and in the UK i think it is the third most common ring game (after NL and PL hold em) live.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was 30 months ago.
I don't think times have changed at all. Holdem is where all the TV coverage is and that's where the money is for literature.

[/ QUOTE ]

30 months is a long time in online poker!

I and many of my poker playing friends havent been playing for much longer than a year, and several of us are interested in PLO.

I'm not saying it would replace Holdem in popularity, only that there would be enough people willing to buy a good book on it to make it a profitable book to publish....
Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone wrote a really good omaha book, i am sure it would sell quite well.(in fact i would be interested in the sales figures of the current Omaha books, and other poker books in general to see if there is any truth in saying there is no market for a good omaha book).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the market would be moderate at best. I also think that most everything else you say in your most would not be the case.

Sorry. But I probably know more about poker book sales than anyone.

One final note: Two Plus Two is not against doing a PLO book. But it would have to come way after any of our current projects.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 08-09-2007, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No it wouldn't. From what Lou Krieger told me a couple years back, all his holdem books outsold his omaha book dramatically, despite the market being saturated with holdem books. Your selling to the punters, not the pros when you write a book, as they are the people who will be buying it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is a very good source. When the poker boom, which was actually a hold 'em boom, began a little over four years ago, there was actually a shortage of poker/hold 'em books. So even poor ones sold well for a brief period of time.

However, that's not the case today. The very best books are still selling well, but most poker books are not. You may want to go to Amazon and check Krieger's sales ranks versus other authors. You'll see that the comment you quote is not accurate anymore.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 08-09-2007, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the market would be moderate at best. I also think that most everything else you say in your most would not be the case.

Sorry. But I probably know more about poker book sales than anyone.

One final note: Two Plus Two is not against doing a PLO book. But it would have to come way after any of our current projects.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real bet for a potential PLO book author and 2+2 publishers is where the poker boom in general and PLO are headed.

Poker in general took a hit the last year and therefore NLHE declined a bit. So NLHE games got tougher and therefore less profitable and probably also more boring. People are spreading out looking for new games. PLO cash games are an obvious choice and have benefitted.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.looneytunescds.com/rel/v2...6&affnr=-2

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...seriously? did you just link to looney tunes, the record store in babylon? wtf! that's my store growing up... (very very small record store, for those of you who didn't grow up near west babylon long island)

[/ QUOTE ]

I just googled something like Slotboom omaha hold em. It was on the first page!
Old 08-10-2007, 03:30 AM

slotbooms book is actually fantastic
Old 08-10-2007, 04:29 AM

Never post about slotboom, it just gets lots of angry posts from people who hate short stackers.