Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 03:41 AM

Default Got involved early, was this a mistake?

I hate getting involved early, hence the tiny raise and the hand played very slowly. The RR on the turn was tiny, with the hopes of just getting called and checked to on the river, so i could check behind.

I was very scared of a five until the river, and then i couldn't see anyone playing a bigger pair that passively and just ruled out the possibility of quads......what do you guys think?

Poker Stars, $12 + $1 NL Hold'em Tournament, 10/20 Blinds, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (UTG): 1,460
MP: 2,100
CO: 1,590
BTN: 690
SB: 1,400
BB: 1,760

Pre-Flop: (30) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to 40</font>, MP calls 40, 2 folds, SB calls 30, BB calls 20

Flop: (160) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets 60</font>, MP folds, SB calls 60, BB calls 60

Turn: (340) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets 100</font>, BB calls 100, <font color="red">Hero raises to 200</font>, SB calls 100, BB calls 100

River: (940) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets 200</font>, SB calls 200, <font color="red">BB raises to 1,460 and is All-In</font>, Hero????????
Old 10-04-2007, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Got involved early, was this a mistake?

raise more pre. Bet atleast 100 on the flop. Turn I raise to like 500. River I can't see folding and would v-bet a lot more than 200. I would pretty much be all in here on the riv all the time.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:12 AM

Limp preflop.

As played bet 120 ish on the flop.

As played, raise way more on the turn, 400 at least. Offering more than 6:1 is never good.

As played call the river.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:31 AM

Raise preflop to 60-80. This helps narrow the caller's range. Since any two cards call a minraise, your opponent could have one of 169 hands. That's why you had trouble reading throughout the hand. It's hard to narrow a range of 23o+ down to a hand or two on just a few streets.

When you make a bet/raise, do so for information. For instance on the turn, get in there and bet your strong and vulnerable hand. It's not a tragedy if you take it down now, as any one of 20 cards can hurt you on the turn (AAAAKKKKQQQQJJJJTTTT). By making a pot-sized bet, you are asking your opponent for information, specifically, whether he has the five.

The trouble for you on this hand is that at no point in the hand did you raise for info, so you were only able to play the two cards in front of you and the board when it was time to make the important decision at the end.

As played, call and pray on the river.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-04-2007, 04:35 AM

ah man, this is so ugly.

You don't like getting involved early, so you just randomly click buttons preflop?

Make a real raise to 60 or 80.

On the flop, make a real bet to like 100-120.

I'd probably just call down from there.

As played, I call the river. he's doing this with a smaller boat a lot. The way he played the turn, I could also see this being a retard with a straight.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you make a bet/raise, do so for information.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know exactly what you were trying to say here. But, in a list of reasons why I bet/raise, information isn't there.

I bet for value.
I bet to protect my hand.
I bet to get better hands to fold.

I don't bet for information. I do, however, often check for information.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When you make a bet/raise, do so for information. For instance on the turn, get in there and bet your strong and vulnerable hand. It's not a tragedy if you take it down now, as any one of 20 cards can hurt you on the turn (AAAAKKKKQQQQJJJJTTTT). By making a pot-sized bet, you are asking your opponent for information, specifically, whether he has the five

[/ QUOTE ]

A pot-size bet on the turn is a raise to 740. You really want to put in over half your stack for information?