Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Quality of play improving at a higher level?

Ok, I normally play the $5 or $10 MTTs or 10NL 25NL but last night got a wild hair and bought in ss ($125) on 400NL on FTP and ran it up to just over $1000 in 2 hours. An early double up on the ss could be attributed to some of the winnings but looking at my session notes I also played a pretty solid game (29.73 VPIP, PFR 16.89, TAF 1.19) and felt generally it was much easier to play an ABC game and suss out a lot more accurately where my opponents were at by their bets and where I was at in response to my bets. I know that it is said repeatedly in this forum and in plenty of poker literature that it's not because ur opponents are donkeys that is the reason u lose, it's an individuals ability to adjust to the game, so is it possible that I have a solid enough understanding to move up atleast to maybe 50NL or 100NL or was this just a lucky session, any other thoughts?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Quality of play improving at a higher level?

Your default thought should be: "lucky" session (and really, that's true no matter HOW skilled you may be)

Take more shots at higher levels and your results should return to your mean.... whatever that may be
Old 11-01-2007, 01:44 PM

200 hands does not make for an accurate assessment of one's skill. I would say that if you have considerable experience at 10NL & 25NL and are a winning player there, then bankroll allowing, move up to 50NL or 100NL.

Oh, and unless this is a 6-max table 29% VPIP is pretty loose.So if you're playing a "solid" game, which I interpret to mean tight, then you had a good run of cards.

Good Luck
Old 11-01-2007, 01:45 PM

There are bad players in every level from 1/2 cent to the biggest games in the world. What generally changes the most is that good players are better (they'll make less fundamental mistakes, and be able to play more effective in an adaptive manner).

Maybe you are good enough for $1000 NL (not likely), but the only way to get there is to earn your way up. The reality is that you probably played well and ran well...anyone who's half decent and combines those two is going to have a nice win.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:23 PM

If you are a good player then you are a good player. I don't find the skill level of players increases drastically as you move up. What changes is that you get less donks. So, overall the games play more difficult.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:21 PM

Reading through the responses here I guess that I mistated the topic here, have a lot of you expereienced upswings from moving up due to the fact that there are as rek said fewer donks, fewer morons looking to draw out to longshots because it only costs them $4-$5 to call that allin instead of $40-$50. I struggled for weeks at 10NL with only 2 winning sessions, no major losses, but now in my first week in 50 NL with a few hundred hands at 100NL when there aren't soft enough games at 50 I've only recorded 2 losing sessions, mind you not all have been huge, but I feel I'm playing better poker as in stepping up to what I feel is the par. Just wanted to clarify