Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2006, 10:57 PM

Default That card certainly LOOKS safe...

Party Poker 2/4 Full Ring

Table is generally fishy, Villain isn't horrible, but he does show ocassionally show down some weak hands.

Hero is BB with QQ

A few people limp, Villain limps on button, Hero raises, everyone calls

Flop (10SB): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets, folds to Villain, Villain calls, SB calls

Turn (6.5BB): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero bets, Villain raises, SB folds, Hero???

My initial reaction was to call down, but it seems like that's the worst of both worlds against a player who is both capable of holding a 6 here AND capable of thinking he's ahead with a lone T and raising it.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:17 PM

Default Re: That card certainly LOOKS safe...

Unfortunately, I don't think a reasonable player would think that a ten (and certainly not one that he didn't raise on the button PF) is a strong enough hand to wait until the turn to raise here. He had the chance to make SB face two cold on the flop and didn't take it... with the chance that any paint or board pair could turn his hand into crap on the turn. He didn't take that chance and now he's raising a board pair with, what JT? Sure, he might have the T, but I think you have to go with what you know about the player from this given hand... and call down. You don't want to three-bet/fold here do you?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:21 PM

You see that was my dilema... if I thought I was good often enough to call down, then I should raise, since I'm 100% positive that this guy is going to call down when beat.

On the other hand, if I'm 4-bet then I know I'm toast for sure, probably by TT, and can just fold.

This one gave me quite a headache when I was deciding what to do!
Old 02-23-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, I don't think a reasonable player would think that a ten (and certainly not one that he didn't raise on the button PF) is a strong enough hand to wait until the turn to raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain wants to fold anyone, he pretty much has to wait for the turn to raise.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:12 AM

The SB isn't even getting 8-1 on a call if the button raises on the flop. That will fold a gutter and overs (because they could be dominated - reverse or otherwise). Is this wrong?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:02 AM

Personally, I would call down. I don't really like getting raised here. However, people seem to love representing trips when the board pairs, although in my recent experience they do so more frequently with a donkbet OOP than with a raise in position (that's 3/6 6-max, though, and 2/4 full may be different).

But if you think Villain would only cap if he had you beat but would call you down with a hand you beat, then I guess 3-betting and folding to a cap is an option. One drawback to this, though, is that you do have decent outs versus 44, if Villan happens to have that. Also, I've been seeing more heavy action with bluffs from fishy players than I'm used to, lately (but, again, that's 3/6 6-max -- it's easier to go on tilt in 6-max, so I think maybe that's part of the explanation).
Old 02-23-2006, 12:10 PM

Only if they play well, which they don't.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:02 PM

I'd definitely call this down since he could do it with a T and the pot is pretty big at this point.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The SB isn't even getting 8-1 on a call if the button raises on the flop. That will fold a gutter and overs (because they could be dominated - reverse or otherwise). Is this wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you're saying. A gutter plus overs isn't possible here.

In any case, some people do love to wait and pop the turn, whether it's a good idea or not.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:26 PM

I'm callling down.

People like to slowplay when they actually hit trips, I think. Most won't raise here, unless he was slowplaying a set of 4s from the flop. However, I think it's most likely a bluff.