Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: random sports stats/facts that surprise you when you first hear th

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW my statement was completely wrong.

I still stand by my point that rebound numbers were crazy back then, which they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

Teams often have 4 or more players average over 10 points per game. Maybe you just got confused....I could see how points and rebounds are difficult to tell apart at times.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: random sports stats/facts that surprise you when you first hear them

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NCAA Tournament
Since the tournament expanded to 64 teams, there has never been a year where all four #1 seeds have made the Final Four.

NFL
Despite having one of the most heralded defenses in NFL history, the 2000 Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens finished only six total yards allowed (which is what the NFL uses to measure defensive rankings) ahead of their divisonal rival the Tennessee Titans.

The Ravens allowed 4,145 total yards (259.1 YPG) to the Titans (259.4). The Ravens also bested the Titans in total points allowed by just 26 (191-165, a difference of 1.6 PPG).

[/ QUOTE ]

"Just" 26 points better is a silly statement imo since the 2000 Titans had a great defense. That'd be like complaining that Jordan averaged "just" a few more points per game than Allen Iverson.

If your point was that the 2000 Titans defense was underrated due to being overshadowed by the Ravens, then I just misunderstood you and I agree completely. However if you're knocking the Ravens in any way then I completley disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood me. The 2000 Ravens defense was phenominal. I was saying that since they won the Super Bowl, many forget that the Titans had an awesome defense that year as well that rivaled Baltimore's.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: random sports stats/facts that surprise you when you first hear them

[ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood me. The 2000 Ravens defense was phenominal. I was saying that since they won the Super Bowl, many forget that the Titans had an awesome defense that year as well that rivaled Baltimore's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, my fault then. Completely agreed. On the same topic, call me a homer but I actually think the 2000 Ravens were tremendously underrated as a team because most people think their offense was so horrible, but it really wasn't that bad once Dilfer took over. I hope I get this stat right here....

In the past 25 years no team had outscored their opponents by a 2-1 margin. Under Dilfer, the Ravens outscored their opponents by a 3-1 margin.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW my statement was completely wrong.

I still stand by my point that rebound numbers were crazy back then, which they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

Teams often have 4 or more players average over 10 points per game. Maybe you just got confused....I could see how points and rebounds are difficult to tell apart at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe I was thinking of rebounds per 40 minutes, where teams in the 60s would regularly have 6+ players averaging over 10 per game, compared to the current era where teams usually have 2 or 3.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, my fault then. Completely agreed. On the same topic, call me a homer but I actually think the 2000 Ravens were tremendously underrated as a team because most people think their offense was so horrible, but it really wasn't that bad once Dilfer took over. I hope I get this stat right here....

In the past 25 years no team had outscored their opponents by a 2-1 margin. Under Dilfer, the Ravens outscored their opponents by a 3-1 margin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dilfer's always been an underrated QB. I'm a lifelong Bucs fan and have always had a soft spot for the guy. Seems like a great guy too who works his ass off. I'm glad he got a ring.

He's nothing flashy, but with the right pieces in place he can efficiently lead an offense.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:30 PM

Outside of the little back and forth, I'll second that I'm not the least bit surprised that no active NBA player is in the top 15 for rebounds/game. Not even looking at the stats, I know Duncan, KG, and Shaq are all around 11 RPG. It's well known that the early rebound numbers were gaudy. The Wilts and Russells of the world are in the 20s. Seems logical there'd be quite a few guys in the 12-20 range from the early days.

edit: Other NBA not so surprised: the Stackhouse scoring champ thing, if only because they mention it during Mavs games all the time. "Former scoring leader, moves to the 6th man role for the benefit of the team!"

That Laettner was an All-Star. For some reason I've always known that. I agree with GKA that Wally is pretty surprising.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:35 PM

Who holds the record for most homeruns in a season by a catcher? Who is second?

In 2003, Javy Lopez hit 42 homeruns as a catcher, surpassing todd hundley's 41. Mike Piazza, Yogi Berra, Gary Carter, Johnny Bench never hit 40 homeruns in a season as a catcher
Old 08-09-2007, 04:44 PM

In 1998 Gary Anderson only missed 1 field goal, everybody knows the one he missed gets blamed for the Vikings losing in the NFL championship to Atlanta.

If he had missed every field goal THE ENTIRE SEASON (not extra point, just field goals) their record would have been 13-2 w/ 1 game going into OT, (and they would have been the OT favorite anyways, but lets just assume they end up w/ a tie). Their record ends up 13-2-1 and they make playoffs.

They would have got a bye in the wildcard game. They would have won the divisional playoff game and been right back in the NFC Championship where Anderson would go on to miss the only FG he actually missed the entire season.

Who says you need a kicking game?

Source
Old 08-09-2007, 04:45 PM

I thought everyone knew the thing about the #1 seeds and the FF?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
edit: Other NBA not so surprised: the Stackhouse scoring champ thing, if only because they mention it during Mavs games all the time.

[/ QUOTE ] It's one of those things the announcers mention a lot. But the first time you hear it, you're surprised.

Similar note, Brent Barry was a slam dunk champ. Not surprising if you've followed the NBA for a while. But if you started watching during this year's playoffs, it'd surprise you that some 3 point shooter once won the slam dunk contest.